Cyclist Alleges Officer Tackled Him During Critical Mass Ride
FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – A Fort Lauderdale Critical Mass cyclists claims police used excessive force against him during Friday night’s ride.
The Broward Palm Beach New Times’ “The Pulp” reported Dan Littell, 30, was crossing Las Olas Bridge when a police car sped past him and other riders.
Littell told the publication that he yelled for the officer to slow down and also moved in front of the car and forced the driver to keep pace with the riders.
However, Littell claimed tempers flared at the end of the bridge and the officer tackled him.
The alleged unsafe driving was not captured on video, but what happened later was recorded and posted on YouTube.
The video on YouTube shows the officer tackling and arrested Littell. He was arrested for resisting arrest and impeding traffic, according to Littell.
While Littell tells one story, another person who read the report in the publication and was at the ride stated Littell was arguing with the officer rather than following orders to not give officers reasons to arrest anyone involved with the ride.
Police had not commented as of Saturday night.
- FAU Professor Learning A Lot About Sharks In South Florida
- Exclusive: VIPER Unit Makes Gun Bust, Deputies Looking For “Armed & Dangerous” Man
- Scientist: Florida Python Hunt Didn’t Help Control Threat
- State Submits New Model For LIP As Clock Ticks
- Adoption ‘Conscience Protection’ Tabled In Senate