CORAL GABLES (AP) — David Thompson scored the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a wild pitch to give Miami a 1-0 win over Bethune-Cookman in the Coral Gables regional Friday night.
Thompson was hit by a pitch with one out, moved to second on Brandon Lopez’s single and went to third on a fielding error by right fielder Josh Johnson. He came around to score when reliever Scott Garner (1-4) threw a pitch in the dirt with two outs.
Andrew Suarez (6-3) tied a career best with 10 strikeouts in a seven-hit shutout, and did not walk a batter.
Wildcats starter Montana Durapau threw 109 pitches over seven scoreless innings before yielding to Garner. He struck out five and scattered three hits.
Miami (42-17) will play Texas Tech on Saturday night, while BCU (26-32) will face Columbia in an elimination game.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Marlins Chen Has Solid Spring But Home Runs Remain An Issue
- US Claims First WBC Title With 8-0 Rout Of Puerto Rico
- US Edges Japan 2-1, Advances To WBC Championship Game
- Stanton’s Homer, Jones’ Amazing Catch Send US Into WBC Semifinals
- VOTE: (2) 1997 Florida Marlins vs. (3) 2011-12 Miami Heat