Miami Beats Bethune-Cookman On Wild Pitch In 9th
CORAL GABLES (AP) — David Thompson scored the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a wild pitch to give Miami a 1-0 win over Bethune-Cookman in the Coral Gables regional Friday night.
Thompson was hit by a pitch with one out, moved to second on Brandon Lopez’s single and went to third on a fielding error by right fielder Josh Johnson. He came around to score when reliever Scott Garner (1-4) threw a pitch in the dirt with two outs.
Andrew Suarez (6-3) tied a career best with 10 strikeouts in a seven-hit shutout, and did not walk a batter.
Wildcats starter Montana Durapau threw 109 pitches over seven scoreless innings before yielding to Garner. He struck out five and scattered three hits.
Miami (42-17) will play Texas Tech on Saturday night, while BCU (26-32) will face Columbia in an elimination game.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Latos Improves Significantly, Marlins And Astros Tie 1-1
- Stanton Hits Monster Home Run In Marlins Win Over St. Louis
- Top Reasons Why South Florida Is A Great Sports Region
- Marlins’ Cosart Says MLB Reviewing His Twitter Account
- Marlins Stolen-Base Champ Dee Gordon Teams With Blechman Foundation to “Dee-Feat” Parkinson’s