MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The first-ever student-run beetle-rearing lab will be in operation in South Florida.
The lab is the first student-run facility in the United States that will breed the Liliceris cheni beetle to help combat the invasive Air Potato vine that is taking over many parks and neighborhood yards.
It will be at TERRA Environmental Research Institute on SW 84 Street.
The USDA Agricultural Research Service Invasive Plant Research Lab in Fort Lauderdale will provide “Adam” and “Eve” that will be the first beetles to be part of the student-run lab.
The lab is made possible by the Miami-Dade Parks’ Natural Area Management Division, USDA and TERRA with a grant from State Farm Youth Advisory Board.
A dedication ceremony will be held May 28.
- Broward Sheriff Scott Israel To Face No-Confidence Vote
- Cypress Creek Could Undergo Bold Revitalization
- ‘Russians Were Trying To Interfere’: Sen. Marco Rubio On DNC Lawsuit Against Russia, WikiLeaks & Trump Campaign
- Arrest Made In Deadly NW Dade Hit And Run
- Robber Fires Shots In Bank During Daring Daytime Heist