MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A drama student at the New World School of the Arts in Miami has been given the opportunity of a lifetime.
But Khandis Merritt’s dreams could be shattered without a little help.
Growing up, the 15-year old sophomore knew exactly what she wanted to be.
“Acting is what I am here for,” said Merritt.
Acting is her passion and now this incredibly talented young lady has been chosen to attend the prestigious Tisch School of the Art’s summer drama program at New York University.
“This is a huge deal for me. This is the school I want to get into, just being out there in the environment it would be really cool,” said Merritt.
There is one problem; the program will cost thousands of dollars and Merritt’s mom is a single mother and can not afford to pay for it on her own.
“The experience is really going to touch her emotionally and help her grow. The tools she will get she could not find anywhere else,” said Stuart Meltzer her drama coach.
Merritt is hoping the community will come together and help her fulfill her dream.
“I would love to be doing this for the rest of my life. I am not doing this only in high school playing around this is what I want to do” said Merritt.
Out of 700 applicants to the Tisch program only 16 are chosen 8 boys and 8 girls and Merritt is one of the lucky ones.
If you would like to help her you can contact Neighbors 4 Neighbors at (305) 597-4404.
- Comey Memos Detail Trump’s Comments On Russia, Reservations About Flynn
- Organ Transplant Donors, Recipients Gather To Celebrate New Chance At Life
- Jewish History, Heritage Celebrated In Miami For Israel’s Independence Day
- Shooter Fires Through Restaurant Window, Kills 2 Florida Deputies
- Found Near Death, Stray Dog ‘Victoria’ Being Nursed Back To Health