MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A Miami-Dade Police officer who was stabbed multiple times while thwarting a plot to set fire to underground fuel storage tanks near Miami International Airport is being honored for his heroism.
The National Association of Police Officers gave Miami-Dade Police Officer Mario Gutierrez their TOP COPS award Monday.
Mayor Carlos Gimenez says Gutierrez’ bravery went beyond the call of duty.
Last fall, Gutierrez saw an unidentified man setting fire to newspapers while trying to ignite a gas station through its underground gasoline valve access port. Gutierrez activated the station’s emergency shut-off button and approached the man.
The suspect allegedly stabbed Gutierrez multiple times until the officer fired his gun, killing the suspect. Police also found box cutters, knife and large screwdriver on the suspect.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Exclusive: Pilots Describe Moments Before Crash Landing In Waters Off Haulover Beach
- South Carolina Primary Make Or Break For GOP Candidate Jeb Bush
- Trump Holds Campaign Rally In Tampa
- Exclusive: FIU Med Student Describes Getting Zika Virus Weeks Before Outbreak
- Second Arrest Made After Shooting Outside Carol City High