MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A Miami-Dade Police officer who was stabbed multiple times while thwarting a plot to set fire to underground fuel storage tanks near Miami International Airport is being honored for his heroism.
The National Association of Police Officers gave Miami-Dade Police Officer Mario Gutierrez their TOP COPS award Monday.
Mayor Carlos Gimenez says Gutierrez’ bravery went beyond the call of duty.
Last fall, Gutierrez saw an unidentified man setting fire to newspapers while trying to ignite a gas station through its underground gasoline valve access port. Gutierrez activated the station’s emergency shut-off button and approached the man.
The suspect allegedly stabbed Gutierrez multiple times until the officer fired his gun, killing the suspect. Police also found box cutters, knife and large screwdriver on the suspect.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- FIU Temporarily Suspends Greek Life Over ‘Growing Concerns’
- Good Samaritan Stops Would-be Burglar In His Tracks
- Police Search For Suspect After Young Boy Is Shot And Killed In Miami-Dade
- Exclusive: Rubio Votes Yes On Tax Plan But Says “We Have A Long Way To Go” On Economic Policy
- Coach Arrested In NY With Teen Booked Into Florida Jail