FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – Congratulations to students at Dillard Center for the Arts of Fort Lauderdale. They placed third in the prestigious Lincoln Center’s Essentially Ellington high school jazz band competition.
The Tucson Jazz Institute’s Ellington Big Band has won the competition for the second straight year.
At a concert Saturday night at the Frederick P. Rose Hall, JALC artistic director Wynton Marsalis presented the first-place trophy and a $5,000 award to Doug Tidaback, director of the Tucson Jazz Institute.
Jazz House Kids, a band founded by a nonprofit jazz education organization in Montclair, New Jersey, repeated last year’s second-place finish. Seattle’s Garfield High School received honorable mention.
The three-day competition featured 15 finalist bands — chosen from among 94 entries — performing compositions by big band leaders Duke Ellington and Gerald Wilson.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Florida Man Arrested After Grocery Store Dispute Over Parking Space
- Hotel Employee Killed After Being Run Over By Stolen Van
- Toy Grenade Causes Scare, Evacuation At Miami International Airport
- Homeowner Awakened To Find Car Inside Living Room
- Kushner Emerging As Central Figure In Russian Involvement With Trump Administration