SUNRISE (CBSMiami/AP) — He is known as the pilot credited with the “Miracle on the Hudson” and Saturday, he addressed South Florida graduates.
Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger was the speaker at Nova Southeastern University’s undergraduate commencement Saturday in Sunrise.
More than 1,400 students received bachelor’s degrees.
Nova Southeastern president George Hanbury said Sullenberger’s “heroism and leadership set the perfect tone for our graduating seniors.”
The pilot was at the helm of a US Airways flight that lost engine power after striking a flock of geese after taking off from New York’s LaGuardia Airport in in January 2009.
He landed the plane in the Hudson River and all 155 people onboard survived.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Ballot Breakdown: Broward Voters Decide If To Pay Up A Penny For Projects
- Police ID Suspect In Murder Of Cancer Survivor
- Indie Film Moonlight Has Roots In Miami
- Home Depot, “Rebuilding Together” Pitch In To Rehab Vet’s Home
- NSU To Predict Winner Of Presidential Race Via Shark Race