FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — The New York Jets have selected Louisville safety Calvin Pryor with the No. 18 pick in the NFL draft.
Pryor could compete with Antonio Allen for a starting spot opposite Dawan Landry, giving the Jets a big hitter in their secondary. He became a starter at safety midway through his freshman season and quickly became a team leader. The 5-foot-11 Pryor had seven interceptions and 218 tackles in three seasons at Louisville.
It is the fifth straight year the Jets have selected a defensive player with their first pick. They took cornerback Dee Milliner last year at No. 9.
The selection of Pryor on Thursday night kicked off a draft for the Jets in which they entered with 12 picks, the first time they had that many since 1998.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Keidel: Is J.J. Watt Already Hall Of Fame-Bound?
- Stolen Jose Fernandez Jersey Returned To Tampa High School
- Marlins To Wrap Up Final Series Away From Home
- Dolphins Dominated By A.J. Green, Bengals In 22-7 Loss
- Marlins Players, Officials Remember Jose Fernandez At Funeral Service