INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Taylor Townsend has earned a wild card into the main draw of the French Open after winning a U.S. Tennis Association qualifying tournament.
The former world No. 1 junior will be playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam event for the first time. She is ranked 256th in the world.
The 18-year-old Townsend, from Houston, earned the spot by beating Anett Kontaveit 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 to reach the final, then topped Yulia Putintseva 6-1, 6-1 on Sunday in the championship match.
The USTA provides wild cards for one man and one woman each year. Robby Ginepri won the men’s spot Saturday.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Cornerback Cordrea Tankersley Taken By Dolphins With 3rd Round Pick
- Conley Gets Roughed Up As Marlins Lose 12-2 To Pirates
- Colts Pick Fort Lauderdale’s Quincy Wilson In 2nd Round
- Dolphins Select Ohio State LB Raekwon McMillan In 2nd Round
- South Florida Native Dalvin Cook Selected 41st Overall By Minnesota