Boy Shocked In Hialeah Pool Speaks About Ordeal

HIALEAH (CBSMiami) – Caution tape surrounds the now-drained pool at the Palm West Gardens condo complex in Hialeah where 10-year-old Diego Cabrera was swimming Sunday afternoon.

“I was in the pool and then the metal railing, I was swimming close to it, and then I felt a shock,” Diego Cabrera said Thursday shortly after being released from the hospital.

Two little girls also felt the jolt of electricity, including Diego’s sister Daniella.

“She was unconscious,” Diego said. “I was crying.”

The three kids were taken to Palmetto General Hospital where they spent 4 nights recovering.

Last month, a North Miami boy was electrocuted while swimming in his pool.

A faulty pool light was to blame for 7-year-old Calder Sloan’s death.

In the case of the community pool in Hialeah, shoddy electrical work and a pump failure caused the water to become electrified.

The City said the pumps failed because they weren’t properly grounded to the electrical system.

An inspector said the pool was not properly maintained and electrical work was done without permits or inspections.

“It’s dangerous,” Diego’s grandmother Osaris Cabrera said. “This shouldn’t have happened, but it did.”

The boy, who says he feels fine despite the scare, plans to steer clear of the water for now.

“I’m not going to that pool again,” Diego said.

The investigation into exactly what happened and whether anyone should be held accountable is ongoing.

RELATED CONTENT:

 

More from Lauren Pastrana
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Fired Up For The #FinsOn4
Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool

Listen Live