How A Government Shutdown Will Impact S. Florida
Get Breaking News First
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Effects of a federal government shutdown could trickle down to Florida and local levels.
It means South Florida will be affected whether you’re a federal employee or collect federal benefits, according to experts.
“The federal government transfers money to the state government and to local governments. So everybody is going to be affected if this goes on for a period of time,” said University of Miami President Donna Shalala on Facing South Florida with Jim DeFede Sunday morning.
Here are some of the things experts said could be impacted:
- A budget blackout could put millions of Americans in a holding pattern and abruptly stop important services.
- Women and children could feel the biggest impact, officials said. If a shutdown happens it could be just a matter of days when food assistance is cut off.
- Although not immediately, anybody or any business that receives a government check may not get one to cash.
- Thousands of federal employees will be furloughed and old to stay home.
- Florida’s tourism could take a hit.
- National attractions like the Everglades and Biscayne National Parks could shutdown.
- Passports and gun permits won’t be processed.
- Men and women in uniform will have to be paid later.
- Anyone trying to buy a new home or open a new business with the government’s help won’t be able to.
So what won’t be affected? Your mail will still be delivered. Air travel won’t be an issue. Neither will unemployment, Medicare, or social security. Federal courts will remain open but only for the first 10 days after the start of a shutdown. If lawmakers can’t get it together, it will be the first government shutdown since 1996. That one lasted 20 days.
People CBS4’s Jamie Guirola spoke with Sunday night said they would like the government leaders to get along.
“I think if they shut the government the economy is going to go down and we’re gonna have problems because already the government is slow for us,” said Isaac Beracasa.