Peace Rally Held As Jurors In Zimmerman Trial Continue Deliberations
Get Breaking News First
MIAMI (CBSMiami) - As the six women jurors continue deliberations in the trial of George Zimmerman, the man charged in the fatal shooting of Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin, authorities and local leaders prepare for a verdict and hope for peace.
In southwest Dade, Trayvon Martin supporters gathered for a rally Saturday afternoon. They stood along the intersection of Caribbean Boulevard and US-1 holding signs and chanting “No Justice, No Peace.”
“I’m here because we need to get justice for Trayvon,” said Rachel Brown, 14. “That’s all we can do is show respect for him,” Elaine Howard added.
Howard is originally from Sanford and has watched her hometown in the national spotlight. Now she says she’s putting her faith in the jury.
“I’m just going to leave it up to them, that’s all just leave it up to the justice system,” she said, adding, “It’s a hard decision to make. It’s a very hard decision to make.”
Even as jurors continued to deliberate, this community wanted its voice heard.
“Regardless of how the verdict may turn out we want peace in our community. That’s what we’re advocating. We want people to express their voice but we don’t want them to use their hands,” explained Johnny Macon who organized the rally.
Trayvon Martin’s uncle, who attended the rally, said it meant a lot to him to see people supporting his nephew.
“I”m so thankful for the community coming out and standing up and being the voice, that well-needed voice and support,” said Ronald Fulton.
The following churches will be open for prayer:
- St. Peters Missionary Baptist Church: 17901 SW 107th Avenue, Miami, Florida
- Second Baptist Church: 11111 Pinkston Drive, Miami, Florida
- Community Baptist Church: 1055 NW 6th Avenue, Miami, Florida
- Covenant Baptist Church: 1055 NW 6th Avenue, Florida City, Florida
- Husanna Community Baptist Church: 2171 NW 56th Street, Miami, Florida
- Redemption Missionary Baptist Church: 4820 NW 27th Avenue, Miami, Florida
- Jordan Grove Baptist Church: 5946 NW 12th Avenue, Miami, Florida
- Westview Baptist Church: 13301 NW 24th Avenue, Miami, Florida
- New Bethany Missionary Baptist Church: 268 NW 48th Street, Miami, Florida
- Community Bible Baptist Church: 10225 SW 147th Terrace, Miami, Florida
Also, two First Amendment Zones will be ready to go whenever the decision comes down from the jury in Sanford.
Authorities are encouraging anyone who wants their voice to be heard to gather in these zones, instead of taking to the streets and inciting riots.
The following areas have been designated First Amendment zones:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park: 6160 NW 32nd Ct, Miami, FL 33142, (305) 633-2044
- Goulds Park: 11350 SW 216th St, Miami, FL 33170, (305) 255-2399