Student Charged In Tamarac School Bomb Hoax
Get Breaking News First
TAMARAC (CBSMiami) – A 13-year old Lauderhill boy who reportedly caused a bomb hoax at Millennium Middle School in Tamarac on Monday has been charged with disrupting a school function. Today, students were a bit uneasy. ”People were saying he’s going to like come out and like do something else and stuff,” worried Millennium 6th grader Samantha Deichler.
Monday afternoon around 3 p.m. Millennium and nearby Challenger Elementary School were evacuated after several students reported seeing another student place a suspicious device in the courtyard of Millennium Middle School, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
“It was scary because had to stay over there but scary,” said a student.
“I’m going to die,” said Starr, a 6th grader. ”That’s exactly how she greeted me, that she thought she was going to die,” said her mom Sandi as she held back tears. ”I thought somebody was just going to walk in the room and do some crazy stuff,” said Christopher Taylor, another 6th grader.
About 1,500 students from Millennium and 250 after care children from neighboring Challenger were safely evacuated to the Tamarac Aquatics Center.
Millennium had already been on lock-down due to a strong-arm robbery in the area, and the students thought the lock-down was related to the device.
“It was very scary. Any parent would be scared,” said parent Kerriann Barnes. “I mean you don’t know if your child is coming home.”
The students also reportedly told authorities that the 13-year old had previously bragged to other classmates that he had placed bombs on campus.
“I think it was kind of stupid. Right now I’m disappointed but at the same time, he shouldn’t have done that,” said student Tajhana Barnes.
Broward Sheriff’s Office officials said the situation ended when the device was safely detonated. It is unclear what exactly the device was.
“It’s a big deal, people’s lives. Police have to come wasting their time to do all of this,” said Barnes.
Investigators found the teen suspect, who had been suspended from school for another incident, at home in Lauderhill. He and his parents cooperated with investigators, according to the sheriff’s office. The teen’s name was not released due to his age.
“Right now the family could be facing restitution. They could owe back the city and state governments as well as the federal government,” said Attorney Jared Bossola.
The teen could face a second degree misdemeanor charge.
“That’s pretty much all that they can charge him right now at this time is a second degree misdemeanor,” said Bossola. “The second degree misdemeanor still holds some punishment and you’re still going to be in the court system.”
Parents felt that teens should be held responsible for their actions.
“You’ve got to tell the kids ‘you’ve got to be serious,’” said parent Jenry Giron. “You’ve got to be serious at the airport, you’ve got to be serious nowadays just the way society is. You can’t be fooling around.”