Fire At TV Marti Causes Damage To Central Newsroom

MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A fire caused some problems at the Miami Office of Cuba Broadcasting headquarters which had to be evacuated due to the trashcan fire that caused damage to the central newsroom.

The accidental fire was started Sunday by a cigarette left in a container in a designated smoking area outside the building in Miami.

Officials say heat from the blaze caused windows to break in the Radio and TV Marti newsroom. Smoke entered the building and set off the sprinklers. No one was hurt.

It could be a week or more before employees are able to return to the main newsroom. But the U.S. government-produced TV and radio broadcasts to Cuba are continuing.

TV Marti was created in 1990 to offer Cubans an alternative news source to state-controlled programming.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool
Have What It Takes To Win? Sign-Up Now

Listen Live