SANFORD (CBSMiami/AP) — The case against George Zimmerman was back in court Tuesday as the attorney for the man accused of fatally shooting unarmed Miami teen Trayvon Martin announced his client’s “stand your ground” hearing will not begin April 22 as planned.
Mark O’Mara told Judge Debra Nelson she could free up the final two weeks in April which had been set aside for Zimmerman’s immunity hearing under the state’s controversial self defense law.
O’Mara previously stated that he hopes to roll the “stand your ground” hearing into Zimmerman’s second-degree murder trial, scheduled for June. He said that remains his desire. The judge has said she’s open to that.
Zimmerman stands accused of murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Feb. 2012. Zimmerman said he was acting in self-defense under the “stand your ground law” and pleaded not guilty to the murder charge.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)