Hammocks Family Loses Everything In House Fire

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A southwest Miami-Dade family lost after everything Sunday morning when a fire destroyed their home.

The family who lived in the home at 15200 SW 184th Street was able to get out safely before the swift moving fire gutted their home, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Arnold Piedrahita Jr.

Everything in the home, including the children’s Christmas gifts, was destroyed.

“Out of nowhere I heard my son screaming ‘fire, fire, fire,’” said Haender “Cubita” Rodriguez. “I blinked and man, everything was gone!”

Rodriguez’s 13-year-old son and seven-year-old daughter were both inside the home at the time of the fire, but with their father’s help, they were able to make it out safely.

Rodriguez’s wife, Aymara, was at work when she says she got an email alert about the fire.

“I started calling the house and there was no answer, so I panicked and started calling and calling my mom and nobody would answer,” said Mrs. Rodriguez.

She then rushed home, where she found her husband and kids safe. Mrs. Rodriguez and her husband say they can only take everything from here one step at a time.

“We live day by day. I’m going to keep asking my God to give me another day pretty much,” he said.
“If I get one more day, with God’s help I’ll make it happen for us again.”

CBS4’s partner Neighbors 4 Neighbors is accepting donations to help the family.

The Red Cross has also stepped in to help them find a temporary place to stay.


More From CBS Miami

Weather Forecast 24/7
Top Breakfast Sandwiches In South Florida

Listen Live