No Charges Against Chris Brown In SoBe Phone Grab Incident
MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — R&B singer Chris Brown is off the hook and won’t be charged with robbery after a woman claimed he snatched her cell phone when she tried to take his photo outside a Miami Beach nightclub club earlier this year.
A memo released Friday by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s office concludes there is no evidence that Brown intended to steal the phone or that he deleted a photo taken by a fan. One or the other is necessary for him to be charged.
The incident took place when Brown and rapper Tyga were leaving Cameo nightclub and a fan followed him outside to his car.
When Brown got into his Black Bentley, Christal Shanae Spann pulled out her iPhone and took a picture of him sitting in the car. Spann told police Brown got angry, reached through his car window and snatched the phone from her hands.
Prosecutors said Brown tossed the phone from his limo and that it was picked up by security.
A felony charge against the 24-year-old might have triggered a violation of his probation for his 2009 assault on singer Rihanna, who was his girlfriend at the time. The two have recently collaborated on a new duet.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)