KENDALL (CBS4) – A South Florida medical office confirmed to CBS4 News that six of their patients were injected with the steroid that has been liked to the nationwide fungal meningitis outbreak that has killed 14 people and sickened 170 in eleven states.
The Surgical Park Center, located at 9100 Southwest 87th Avenue, said they notified those affected immediately.
“We have contacted these patients to inform them of this situation. The state Health Department has advised us that their risk is likely relatively low, but as advised by the Health Department, we have suggested the patients contact their primary care physician for assessment and follow up,” the center said in a statement sent to CBS4. ” They were also advised that if they have any urgent/emergent signs and symptoms they should seek care in a local emergency department. We continue to work with the Health Department and other regulatory agencies to help them contain this issue.
The news comes the same day health officials announced the second death from the outbreak in Florida. The 83 year old man from Marion County died Thursday after receiving the injection created at the Massachusetts-based New England Compounding Center. The other victim, a 7o year old man, died in July before the discovery of the contaminated medication.
State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong says there have been seven cases of meningitis in Florida so far, with the latest person diagnosed identified as a 48-year-old man from Marion County.
Armstrong says health officials have identified 735 of the 775 people in Florida who received contaminated injections.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)