HOLLYWOOD (CBSMiami) – Nearly two dozen homes in a Hollywood neighborhood were evacuated Wednesday morning after a gas line was accidentally cut.

A Hollywood Public Works crew was working in the 1800 block of Lee Street around 8:30 a.m. when they mistakenly cut a four inch natural gas main which caused a significant leak.

The area impacted by the leak went from North Federal Highway to 24th Avenue and one street north and south of Lee Street.

Residents of approximately 20 homes in the area, along with guests at Summer Cove Motel, were either evacuated or told to stay indoors.

Due to the heat, a hazardous materials team from the Broward Sheriff’s Office assisted Hollywood Fire Rescue in clearing the area around the leak so it could be capped.

The line was repaired shortly before noon.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE