MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Fret not parents, the American Automobile Association has made a short list that narrows down safe car choices for teens without having to break the piggy bank.
For most teens, color, speed and style rank higher than safety on the list of wants when a new car is in mind.
“Unfortunately, teens have the highest crash rate of any group in the United States. When purchasing a new or used vehicle, safety features should be top of mind,” said John Pecchio, manager, AAA Traffic Safety, The Auto Club Group.
Each year the auto group comes out with a list of the safest cars on road for teens. This year they’ve selected:
- Volkswagen Golf/Rabbit TDI: Roomy and flexible despite its compact exterior dimensions, these hatchbacks have precise handling and stability control.
- Ford Focus: The latest models give parents the MyKey feature, which limits speed, radio volume and prevent teens from turning off safety systems.
- Honda Civic: A perennial and parental favorite, the Honda Civic offers solid handling, a stout structure, easy maneuvering and good fuel economy. When shopping around, do note model types, as the Si model may be too powerful for younger drivers.
- Hyundai Sonata (2011+): Handling is secure and the ride is comfortable.
- Ford Fusion: With secure handling and a comfortable ride, newer models have optional cross traffic alert feature, which makes backing out of a parking space safer.
- Kia Sportage: A midsize crossover utility vehicle is economical, dependable and comes with a wide range of safety features.