UM: “We Are Committed To The ACC”
Sports Fan Insider
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The wheels of conference realignment have been spinning for two years, but the University of Miami is trying to put a stop on any talk it may be kicking the tires on moving to the Big XII Conference.
It all started earlier this week, when UM was among three schools mentioned by TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte as trying to get into the Big XII Conference. The other two schools, Florida State and Clemson have openly flirted with joining the Big XII Conference.
Friday, UM’s Twitter feed said “The Miami Hurricanes are committed to the ACC.” The school also issued a statement from University of Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst who said the school is committed to the ACC and “we have not engaged in any formal or informal discussions with any other conferences.”
We are so fortunate at Miami. Our University, under past and present visionary leadership and with an 87-year history of achievement, is strong in our foundation and in our beliefs. It allows us to stay steady when there are stormy seas, and that core strength holds us together today more than ever.
The full statement can be seen below.
UM had never been mentioned in the chaos that erupted a few years ago when the Big Ten Conference first broached adding another member school. Since then, multiple schools have left other conferences and found new homes in conferences that aren’t necessarily geographical fits.
The schools that have changed conferences include:
- Nebraska University to Big Ten
- University of Missouri to SEC
- Texas A&M University to SEC
- Colorado University to Pac-12
- University of Utah to Pac-12
- University of Pittsburgh to ACC
- Syracuse University to ACC
- University of Central Florida to Big East
- University of Houston to Big East
- University of Memphis to Big East
- Southern Methodist University to Big East
- Temple University to Big East
- Boise State University to Big East
- Navy to Big East
- San Diego State to Big East
- Florida International to Conference USA
- University of North Carolina-Charlotte to Conference USA
- Louisiana Tech University to Conference USA
- University of North Texas to Conference USA
- Old Dominion to Conference USA
- University of Texas at San Antonio to Conference USA
- Texas Christian University to Big XII
- West Virginia University to Big XII
UM’s Full Statement of Support to the Atlantic Coast Conference
“We are so fortunate at Miami. Our University, under past and present visionary leadership and with an 87-year history of achievement, is strong in our foundation and in our beliefs. It allows us to stay steady when there are stormy seas, and that core strength holds us together today more than ever.
Since joining the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2004, the University of Miami has worked hard to measure up to the high academic and athletic standards set by our peers and we could not be more proud than to call the ACC our home. We are confident in our progress and in our accomplishments, yet there is still much work to be done. We are committed to the ACC and to doing our part to continue the tradition of excellence across the board. In that regard, we have not engaged in any formal or informal discussions with any other conferences.
The additions of the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University, as well as the new exclusive television partnership with ESPN, signal the very strength and nationwide appeal of the ACC. Fans will be able to watch more ACC sports and more ACC games in more ways than ever before with the most powerful brand in sports behind us. This is an exciting time to be a part of the ACC and we are honored and humbled to be among its members.”