Miami Roads To Close For Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run
MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Thousands of South Florida runners will leave their cubicles and lace up their sneakers for the 2012 Miami Mercedes Benz Corporate 5K Run on Thursday, April 26th.
More than 20,000 participants from hundreds of companies will take over downtown Miami for the race which is marking its 27th year. There’s even a team from CBS4 and MYTV33.
The purpose of the Corporate Run Series is to promote running and walking as a means to a fit, healthy lifestyle for people from all walks of corporate life.
The race begins promptly at 6:45 p.m.
The run is open to employees of businesses, corporations, government agencies, financial institutions and non-profits-no matter how big or small. Companies were encouraged to enter an unlimited number of employees to walk or run as a group.
But with the event comes street closures:
- At 3 p.m., the Northbound lanes of Biscayne Blvd, from Chopin Plaza to NE 5th St. will close. Southbound lanes will offer two-way traffic. Special attention will be given to the entry and exit of Chopin Plaza (Hotel Intercontinental and One Biscayne.)
- The first of the 20,000 expected participants will begin arriving at 3:30 p.m. Traffic is expected to increase at that time.
- Street detours and lane closures will begin from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- At 6:00 p.m., northbound Brickell Avenue traffic will be sent west on SE 7th Street.
- At 6:30 p.m., the race course will be shut down.
- From 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., roadways will reopen as the last of the participants pass and the Miami Police Department deems it safe.
Road Reopening Estimates:
- Brickell Ave should reopen by 7:30pm
- SW/NW 2nd Ave should reopen by 8:00pm
- NW/NE 1st St should open by 8:20pm
- Remaining streets by 8:30pm
- Miami Ave South of The River by 7:45pm
- Miami Ave North of The River by 8:15pm
- 12:00am: Northbound Biscayne Blvd open to traffic
- Note 1: Brickell Key / Claughton Island / Eastbound 8 ST will detour onto SW 2 Ave. to SW 15 RD and continue to Bayshore Drive.
- Note 2: Streets south of the Miami River should be clear of runners and walkers by approximately 7:30pm and open to traffic. Streets north of the Miami River should be clear by approximately 7:50pm.
Exiting downtown will be easiest via I-95.
A festival with music and food will take place after the race at Bayfront Park.
As part of the tri-county race circuit, a portion of the proceeds from the Miami run will benefit the South Florida Chapter of the American Red Cross.