MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Two more funerals are being planned for two men who died last Friday night when gunfire erupted outside a North Miami funeral home.  Twelve other people were injured in the shooting including a five year old girl.

Laurore Ornis, 42, from Ft. Pierce, died outside the funeral home.  Parterson Dubreus, 27, died at the hospital.  Friends said Ornis was the father of  three and a hard working dock worker.

Dubreus’s best friend told CBS4’s Gary Nelson that Parterson, a father of two, was engaged to be married and had recently been laid off from his job.

“It’s one of those sad stories where that good person was in the wrong place,” said Daniel. “The good guys always go first. It always happens like that,” he said. Daniel did not reveal his last name.

The shooting happened Friday night around 9:30 p.m. outside the Funeraria Latina Emanuel funeral home at 14990 W. Dixie Highway Friday.

Family and friends of Morvin Andre, 21, had gathered at the funeral home for his wake.  Andre died March 16th after he jumped from a parking garage at the Aventura Mall in an effort to escape Bloomingdale’s ‘loss prevention’ employees.

Police said some of the people paying their respects at the wake were members of rival gangs.  While funeral homes are considered neutral ground by gang members, police said someone touched Andre’s body in a way other gang members took as disrespectful.

An argument inside the funeral home spilled out onto the street.  That’s when, according to police, members of one gang went to their car, grabbed an assault rifle and a handgun, and started shooting.

“It was horrific, people were going crazy, screaming, running, just chaos,” said Pastor A.D. Lenoir.

The 12 people wounded in the shooting were taken to area hospitals.  Five year old Mckayla, who was shot in the leg and has a bullet permanently lodged in a bone, remains hospitalized at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Her mother, Someta Etienne explained what happened. “She was crying, she wasn’t walking, I thought someone stepped on her foot or something. It wasn’t until someone was screaming, she got shot, she got shot.

Mckayla remained conscious and even spoke to her grandmother on the phone while waiting for an ambulance.

“I say let me talk to her, ‘Grandma, Grandma I got shot.’ Wow when I heard that I felt like crying,” explained Atamene Etienee, Mckayla’s grandmother.

No arrests have been made.

A total of 14 people were shot which makes it one of the worst mass shootings in the history of South Florida.

Click Here to read about the history of mass shootings in South Florida.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers (305)471-TIPS (8477) or (866) 471-8477

Visit and select “Give a Tip” Send a text message to 274637. Enter CSMD followed by the tip information and press send.

  1. sffds says:

    soo… no neighborhood volontires involved… that is rassizm!!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE