911 Calls Released In Death Of Trayvon Martin
South Florida Crime
SANFORD, Fla. (CBSMiami) – Emergency calls made to police in Sanford, Florida showed that a black teenager was terrified as he fled from a white neighborhood watch volunteer who eventually shot him and that the volunteer was not acting in self-defense, according to the family of Trayvon Martin, 17.
Sanford Police released eight 911 calls made during and after the shooting of Martin. George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer told police on the first call that he was following Martin and said Martin was running.
A dispatcher told Zimmerman not to follow Martin.
“This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something,” Zimmerman told the dispatcher. He also said the teen had his hand in his waistband and was looking at homes as he walked.
“These *expletives.* They always get away,” Zimmerman told the 911 dispatcher.
Zimmerman has claimed that he acted in self-defense when he shot and killed Martin. The family of Martin has said that is far from the truth and that Zimmerman chased Martin before shooting him.
“He was yelling for help, and no one could help him,” Tracy Martin said. “He saw his life being taken away from him.”
Just after Zimmerman’s first call, 911 dispatchers were inundated with calls about a scuffle between two men, some screaming, and then a gunshot.
“There is somebody screaming outside,” one female caller said. An unknown male voice can be heard crying in the background before a shot is heard.
“I just heard a shot right behind my house,” a male caller said. “They’re wrestling right behind my porch. The guy is yelling, “Help!” I’m not going outside.”
Sanford Police refused to file charges against Zimmerman for the shooting. The family of Martin said Friday they’d like the FBI to take over the investigation because they no longer trusted the Sanford Police.
According to the Associated Press, several residents said there would have already been an arrest if the shooter had been black and the victim had been white. The residents said that across racial lines, people agreed that an injustice had been done with no one arrested.
The case is currently before the state attorney’s office which will decided whether to file charges or present evidence to a grand jury.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)