Family Wants Answers After Miami Teen Shot, Killed In Sanford

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The family of a Miami teen who was shot and killed while visiting Sanford is demanding answers as to why his killer has not been charged.

Trayvon Martin, 17, and his father, Tracy Martin, were in Sanford visiting his father’s fiancé Brandi Green on February 26th when the teen went to a convenience store to pick up a bag of candy for Green’s son.

While walking back to Green’s townhome in the gated community of The Retreat at Twin Lakes, Martin was spotted by George Zimmerman, a member of the townhome community’s neighborhood watch, according to his parents. They say Zimmerman called 911 to report a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

Martin’s parents say from what they’ve heard, the 911 operator told Zimmerman that an officer was on the way and advised him not to approach the teen. Zimmerman, however, followed Martin and confronted him, according the teen’s parents.

Martin and Zimmerman reportedly fought and at one point Zimmerman drew a gun and shot the teen, according to Martin’s parents. When police arrived, they questioned Zimmerman and released him. Martin’s parents said he was not arrested or charged in the incident.

Martin and Trayvon’s mother Sabrina Fulton are outraged and want answers. They say officials have refused to release the 911 tapes and have provided them no information regarding the case.

On Friday, their attorney Benjamin Crump filed a public records lawsuit against the Sanford Police Department demanding release of the 911 tapes.

Comments

1. tina says:

TRAYVON MARTIN WHO WAS KILLED BY A SECURITY GUARD FOR NO REASON. PLEASE HELP US. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY WE ARE LOOKING FOR JUSTICE. HE SAID THAT MY COUSIN WAS A SUSPICIOUS BLACK KID. MY COUSIN DIED WITH A BAG OF SKITTLES AND A CAN OF ICE TEA IN HIS POCKET. THIS GUY SHOT MY COUSIN AND HAD THE NERVE TO SAY IT WAS SELF DEFENSE. THIS GUY GEORGE ZIMMERMAN AGE 28 AND MY COUSIN TRAYVON MARTIN AGE 17. ZIMMERMAN WAS ARRESTED FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ON SO MANY OCCASIONS, NOW YOU TELL ME HOW IN THE HELL HE WAS ABLE TO CARRY A GUN? TELL ME HOW A BLACK KID LOOKS SUSPICIOUS? MY COUSIN WAS VISITING HIS DAD IN ORLANDO AND NEVER MADE IT BACK HOME TO MIAMI. PLEASE HELP. THANKS WE WANT JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON. ZIMMERMAN HAS NOT BEEN ARRESTED. NOW IF IT WAS THE OTHER WAY AROUND IF TRAYVON SHOT ZIMMERMAN HE WOULDVE BEEN IN JAIL FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE BECAUSE TRAYVON IS BLACK AND ZIMMERMAN IS WHITE. IM NOT RACIST AND NEITHER AM I MAKING THIS A COLOR ISSUE BUT IM CALLING HOW I SEE IT. RIGHT IS RIGHT AND WRONG IS WRONG.IT WAS SAID THAT ZIMMERMAN CALLED THE POLICE AND REPORTED A SUSPICIOUS PERSON AND THE POLICE TOLD HIM TO WAIT UNTIL THEY GET TO THE SCENE TO HANDLE THE SITUATION. NOW TELL ME HOW MY COUSIN ENDED UP DEAD? WHY IS ZIMMERMAN FREE AND TRAYVON DEAD?

1. PREOP88 says:

I AGREE WITH YOU NO ONE DESERVES TO BE SHOT LIKE A DOG. THE POLICE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN ZIMMERMAN TO THE STATION. IT IS SO CLEAR THAT RACE PLAYED A PART IN THE DECISION MAKING. KEEP FIGHTING FOR JUSTICE.

2. colorless says:

I HATE RACIST DOGS

3. gardenofthegods says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I’ve been posting all this info on Twitter & have started a hashtag calling for justice for #Trayvon No-one deseves to be shot in the street for NOTHING. I hope you get that Justice. Condolences to your family

4. Alan Feller says:

Is there a defense fund for the family? I would be willing to make a contribution to help this family. As far as I can tell this family has lost a son, for no good reason!
      Justice needs to be served and I would be happy to help out,financially,if necessary!

2. FlaRes says:

Clearly, there is a lot more to this case. Eyewitness saw Zimmermann being badly beaten and yelling for help. I believe when the real faccts are released, Martin attacked this guy. It appears the guy was justified and maybe Martins dad just wants some money. Why did he leave his problem son without any supervision all night while he was out drinking – he found out the next day his son had been shot.

1. Joe says:

I read that Martin kid was in gang before. Would explain his violent behavior.

2. Soldier of ONE says:

If Martin did attack Zimmerman then he had every right to. So “neighborhood watch” guy wanted to chase him down after the authorities CLEARLY stated for him not to pursue, Zimmerman antogonised this young man. Rather or not he was in a gang is irrelevant. If you let the media tell it, you would think that Martin had the gun on Zimmerman.

And besides if Zimmerman didnt have a gun, dont they teach self defense in security class? he was once a bouncer, right? So basically Zimmerman would have gotten his a$$ whooped by a 17 year old boy….especially since he claimed to be the one “screaming” on the 911 tapes.

3. PREOP88 says:

NOT BEING JUDGEMENTAL! NO ONE DESERVED TO BE SHOT BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN. HE SHOULD HAVE WAITED ON THE POLICE TO COME.. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A MORE THROUGH INVESTIGATION. IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD YOU WOULD WANT ANSWERS TOO.

4. Ethansmom says:

I don’t know what really happened, but I do know that ever since I first heard about this story, something didn’t sit right with me. My gut instinct is that Zimmerman merely decided that Martin was “suspicious” because A) he was African American and B) because he was a teen. I believe that Zimmerman is a bully, they are usually the type that want positions that make them feel powerful and in control. I believe that he completely disregarded the police’s advice to stay put until they get there, because he wanted a confrontation and saw a chance to bully a kid. He followed him, so you can bet he was yelling things at his back, and probably scaring the hell out of this kid. I bet he caught up to him and grabbed his shoulder from behind, which would have scared any teen into turning and defending himself. I bet resulted in the physical confrontation that some heard and/or witnessed. If this were my teenage son, I know full well, he would come out swinging, in fear, and to protect himself. Bottom line, this man should have been arrested immediately and questioned, charged and held until a determination is made. If this were to happen to my son, I would stop at nothing, to get to the truth. BTW, I am a Caucasian mother of 2 boys and 2 girls, all grown now.

1. gardenofthegods says:

Amen!

5. Sandy says:

There must be justice for Trayvon. This man should be charged with murder!

6. King Zohan says:

None of you were there, you dont know the facts! Did you people ever consider that this kid looked suspicious because Zimmerman patrols the neighborhood regularly and didnt recognize how someone got in to the gated property walking around alone. No one should make any assumptions unless they were there and know the facts, otherwise its up to the investigation and police officers involved. Im sure there are black police detectives in Sanford who would defend the kid if their colleagues are biased over his skin color. Black people have have managed to overcome “racism” to achieve all sorts of high society positions, including our President. So please, stop with the racists card, you look like a thug, black white or latino, your gonna get labeled suspicious when someone whos familiar with the residents doesnt recognize you in a gated community.

7. Terry says:

I believe from this Zimmerman’s profile, that probably took matters into his own hands. It sayshe wanted to be a cop, but for whatever reason he didn’t become one. So as a security office he probably felt like he had the same authority, as a certified peace officer. I feel that as a reasonably young person hisself, he probably followed him and inticed him into an altercation, and then shot him. And now the police who are suppose to “Protect and Serve” should have at the very least, arrested him, questioned him, investigated his story, investigated the eye witness accounts, basically do their job! Come on Police…a young boy lost his life for Gods sake. What’s wrong with you guys?

8. Holly says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Sabrina and family. I am so sorry for your loss.

9. Mary Maskell says:

Tracy and Sybrina,
    I hope with all my heart that justice will be done. I feel your pain. This makes me very ashamed to be an American. I live abroad and don’t ever want to go back. Be strong, many many people are with you.

1. Patrick Allen says:

Good stay there Mary, don’t need you here. Renounce your citizenship so we don’t have to help you when you get your tail in a crack.

10. mimilou says:

In a gang not in a gang when did it become ok to kill someone because of what they look like? We pay taxes to have a police force, so when the police said do not pursue what does that mean? I live in a gated community and I guess the next kid walking to the pool, playground, riding a bike or wearing an ugly shirt is fare game. Some of you people are real idiots. He should have never confronted the kid in the first place.

1. TheTRUTH says:

Killing is wrong plain and simple, lets just say this first.
      There are ALOT of things that havent been said, dont base your sole opinion on what the “media” tells you! For once Trayvon Martin does NOT look like he does in the pic above, hes 6ft tall, has a grill, and is covered in tatoos at the age of 17. Already this kid has a bright future….anyway another thing that hasnt been said was that the killer, did have injuries in the back of hes head, why would a guy with gun have any close ranged injuries?? Im not siding with the killer, nor the victims, but i am siding with the facts are conveniently being hidden away.

11. DaneChile says:

All of you should read, comprehend, and question what you read and hear in the media before opening your yaps. Do a little legwork on the net. I just spent two hours doing some very basic google searching and I am finding many discrepancies in the news reports.

12. Patrick Allen says:

I still want to see a current photo of Trayvon. None anywhere on the net. Don’t think at 17 he still looks like he’s 11.

13. TheTRUTH says:

Okay, can we STOP SHOWING THE PICTURE of Trayvon Martin when he was freaking 11 years old?? Hes 17 and what around 6ft? Hes no little cute kid, hes a grown guy all tattooed up and he definitely doesnt look like an innocent kid. I DO NOT CONDONE THE KILLING OF ANYBODY HERE, and i do feel srry for the family who loved him, but i also dont like when people play the media like this. So take that picture of him in a cute football jersey, and put the one where he looks like “the game” (rapper, ex-g-unit). I dont like judging books by its cover but a kid thats 17years old shouldnt be getting tatoos PERIOD! Theres a side to every story and sadly in this world first bad impressions can cost you ALOT.

14. Lampen says:

I do believe all the ideas you’ve introduced in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. May just you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.