The Genting Group Meets With S. Fla. Business Owners For Support

MIAMI (CBS4) – Developers of the proposed 3 billion dollar Miami casino resort project met with a key group of people today, the owners and managers of office buildings throughout South Florida.

The Genting Group wants them on board with the controversial plan.

The proposed Resorts World Miami project would be bigger than any other resort in town and if the developer has its way, it will feature a large casino.

But the building owners and managers have other concerns, besides gambling.

Many of them own and run the high-rise office buildings surrounding the proposed resort site in the Omni District.

“We believe they are a critical group, one that will stand to potentially benefit from some of the spillover, economic impact our resort will have here in the Greater downtown area,” Resorts World Miami Vice President Jesse Manzano-Plaza told CBS4’s Natalia Zea.

“It’s all about the market and how it will impact the surrounding buildings,” said Vicki Vaisden, president of BOMA, the Building Owners and Managers Association.

The BOMA members were instantly relieved to hear during the luncheon and question-and-answer session Friday afternoon at the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key, that the 10-million square foot resort project is not set to include office space, eliminating competition in a market that already has too many vacancies.

“The office building people are glad it’s going to be entertainment, and the direction it’s going. I think it’s better for all of us here,” said Vaisden.

But like many of the people who live in this area, the building owners and managers worry about the additional traffic that would come with the resort.

Manzano-Plaza said they are accepting feedback and want to resolve the traffic concerns as well.

“Listen, we’re going to bring new visitors to Miami-Dade County and we don’t want them sitting in traffic getting to our property, so we’re gonna work with them to address those issues.”

A recent CBS4, Miami Herald, Nuevo Herald, Univision 23 poll shows 45% of South Floridians oppose the Resort Casino project. 47% support it and 8% aren’t sure. But Manzano-Plaza believes project opponents will change their minds.

“I think this community, this is a community hit hard by the recession, is going to realize, yes we want new jobs, yes we want private investment, and we support this concept of destination resorts.”

Two expanded gaming bills are making their way through the state legislature right now, but even if they don’t pass the Genting Group says they will still build a resort at the proposed site, though it could be smaller and take longer than five years to develop.

Comments

1. Susan Spector says:

Natalia Zea is the hottest reporter in Miami. Having said that, the Genting people are offering a tremendous gift to our city. Make no mistake about it. States across the nation including Hawaii are hustling to adjust their laws on gaming to take advantage of offers like the one Genting has presented to Miami. If our lawmakers in the capital were to fail to pass the bill, there are a dozen states ready to jump in and take the generous offer. The proposal is a once in a lifetime opportunity for our city at a time when we need it the most. I urge citizens to contact their legislators and demand the bill be passed and permit this magnificent project to be built.

2. John Balzer says:

We must support the initiative to permit destination resorts and particularly the Genting Group plan start building in Miami. It means tens of thousands of good, new jobs. It will restore our economy. Business owners know this in their hearts and should not be deterred by fear mongering naysayers’ who seek only to protect their bottom line at the expense of the people and the greater good.

3. Pablo Caballero says:

4. Manny Rodriquez says:

I must agree that there are two great beauties pictured on this page and they are the Genting design and Natalia Zea. The weatherman, not so much but he’s OK.

5. Rich Frannzen says:

This Genting resort will bring in thousands of jobs and help our local economy. I bet it will also attract more people who look like Natalie. Good deal for everyone

6. Pablo Caballero says:

II am hopeful the resort gets approved. I currently live in L.A. and work at a taco stand. I graduated from the Art Institute and my family expected me to do better. when the resort gets approved, I will be first in line to apply for a job in one of the upscale restaurants where I believe I belong. Miami needs to embrace this job creating initiative, not just because I need a good job, but because it will help many people get good jobs.

7. juan Guerrero says:

The Genting Group is the most welcome investor in Miami. In the past 10 years, theMiami Herald was for sell at $ 190.00 SQ, and nobody invested on it. There was a plan to copy the Warner Time Towers in the facility as they did at The Lincoln Center in New York, but nobody came with the money. It is easy to make a project and expect others to bring their money, but The Genting Group was brave enough and they have a broader vision than anyone to invest their own money in our community. They paid double the price expected, they paid $ 400.00 SQ for the Miami Herald Location. Why? Because they believe that Miami is the most beautiful city in the World. They are going to build the most beautiful Resort in the Planet, not only in Florida, or the USA . It would be the most beautiful Icon in the whole World. We need to be grateful with the Genting Group for choosing us and we need to open our city , our hearts to such generous people that wants to make our Miami the best city in the World, to help our economy creating jobs, and to develop a true entrepreneurship that will allow to flourish our competitiviness. We need you , and your families to go out and support the Genting Group. This is the best ever happens in Miami , we can not lost this opportunity. There are a few rich people that opposed to it, but they have ulterior motives, that I dont want to unveil them here, but everybody already know. Again , we need to say Thanks Geting. You are welcome.