Police Search For Vehicles From Deadly NW Dade Hit & Run

MIAMI (CBS4) – Miami-Dade police are searching for the drivers of several vehicles which were involved in a deadly hit and run accident Monday evening.

The accident happened when, according to police, Ismael Cruz-Pratts, 48, was crossing N.W. 17th Avenue at 114th Street.

Miami-Dade police spokesman Javier Baez said the first vehicle, a 2008 Nissan Altima, to hit Cruz-Pratts remained on the scene.  As the driver got out to help, two other cars struck Cruz-Pratts as he struggled to sit upright.  The driver of both of those vehicles sped away.

ismael cruz pratts Police Search For Vehicles From Deadly NW Dade Hit & Run

Ismael Cruz-Pratts (Source: Miami-Dade Corrections)

“He’s the father of three girls, he’s got various grandkids,” said Cruz-Pratt’s friend Lilly Franqui.

Franqui said Cruz-Pratts was a good father, a good grandfather and a good guy who will be missed.

She urged the two drivers who sped off to turn themselves in to police.

“It’s a shame that somebody is going to hit and leave him there and he’s dead.  Please turn yourself in,” said Franqui.  “Or if you have any information pleas contact the police department.  I’m pretty sure those little girls and those grandkids would appreciate it.”

Neighbors were horrified to find out the two drivers took off after they hit Cruz-Pratt.

“That’s terrible, I just thank God it wasn’t my children or anything like that, or kids or anybody walking around,” said Davita Hopkins, “That’s terrible.”

Those who live on the street say the lights have been out for a while and the only thing illuminating the street Monday night were police cars and television cameras.

“It’s been three weeks, people been reporting the lights, the lights, the lights,” said George Natar.  “It took death to, maybe tonight, we’ll have some lights.”

According to police, witnesses said the other two vehicles may be a dark-colored Cadillac and a red Honda.

Friends said Cruz-Pratts was down on his luck and living in an abandoned home in the area where he was hit.  They add he was planning on moving to Illinois where he thought he would have better luck.

Comments

1. Robert says:

So let me get this straight; SOMEONE (a hispanic male….in Miami…that’s helpful!) was run over (and killed) by SOME vehicles (three of them no less what? sedans? trucks? silver in color? maybe red? blue? American? Foreign? Tint? Damage? WHAT?!?) and the police are searching and looking for answers…..REALLY? What is this; I’m thinking of a number between one and ten…go ahead….guess???? If you want the communities help…..how about a bit of INFORMATION PLEASE! Bunch of D~Bs!

1. ADMIN says:

Robert, at times there is simply no more information to share. We get our info on these things from witnesses, police at the scene, and official police reports, and at times were report the best information we know, and update it as we know more. If that isn’t what you need, just move on🙂

2. here'sthewholestory says:

Robert———–patience is a virtue–move on

2. rausky79 says:

Another unfortunate victim of Miami-Dade’s careless drivers. At least one driver had the decency to stop!! It’s an epidemic here in Miami of pedestrians getting killed. My sympathy and condolences to the family.

3. Denis says:

I agree with Miami-Dade careless drivers but other then that, Why are the street lights not on at 7:24pm ? I was driving in that area at the time of this horrible Accident and it was so dark . So maybe besides the Careless Drivers in Miami Dade we should also Blame the City for neglecting to check on faulty street lights. I bet they will be working tonight, it’s a shame that someone has to die before something in the City (HOOD) gets fixed….. SMH

1. Carol says:

That is what happens everytime because they know they could get sued for this man’s death.

If I lived in that area that wouldn’t happen long because I would bug and bug the city until they fixed the situation all you have to do is call 311 and get the right number to call and call because that is their job and futhermore all of have to pay our taxes or they will take your house away. I always remind them that we the public pay their salaries.

4. Tony Sporanot says:

What a sad story. I smell a lawsuit towards the city for the non-working lights.

5. Carol says:

To me what is really frightening is this happens almost everyday and it doesn’t seem to stop and what makes it worse who ever left Ismael to die this is probably not the first time they have hit something in the street and never stopped but this time it was a human.

Another thing if these people are J walking of which is so dangerous who ever hit this person would have stayed there would have been no charges that is if he were J Walking.

MAY GOD GIVE THE FAMILY THE STRENGTH TO GO THROUGH THIS REALLY TOUGH TIME NOW AND FOR ALL TIME AS I AM SURE HE WILL!!!

6. tincup says:

My Dear Fellow Bloggers,
    You don’t read the news???
    The reason the lights were out in this hood is because people are
    stealing the copper wires from the street lights poles.
    They are stealing it so fast, the city gov. can’t keep up.

7. Denis Martinez says:

Blaming those who are Stealing Copper for this accident………… Sorry, I am not buying it…… Just passed by there and amazingly the lights are on…… One day too Late. My prayers go out to his Family. RIP Ismael Cruz Pratts

8. maya says:

i am the daughter of ismael cruz the man that get hit by 3car on 17ave nw 114st

9. maya says:

I AM THE DAUGHTER OF ISMAEL CRUZ THE MAN THAT GET HIT BY 3 CAR ON 17AVE NW 114 ST THANK U EVERY BODY BUT WE NEED HELP IF SOME ONE KNEW SOME THING PLEASE CALL THE POLICE
    R.I.P ISMAEL CRUZ