Gimme A ‘G’: Man Pleads Guilty For Smuggling Fake Cheerleading Team

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – At least one Colombian man has nothing to cheer about today.

Duastin Salazar, 28, pleaded guilty to visa fraud charges after trying to smuggle 16 people into the U.S. posing as a cheerleading squad, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) announced Thursday.

“By posing as cheerleaders, these defendants believed they could evade law enforcement and unlawfully enter the United States,” said Mike Shea, acting special agent in charge of ICE HSI in Miami. “To protect the homeland, we continually evaluate areas where criminal organizations may attempt to exploit our systems and processes to deny them access.”

The stunt was executed on September 30 as the group tried to enter Miami International Airport from a flight originating in Cali, Colombia. According to ICE, the group had fraudulent documents permitting them to enter U.S. to attend a cheerleading competition in South Florida.

In addition to Salazar, six other people involved in the scheme either pleaded guilty or were convicted in the case. Like the six previous suspects, he was sentenced to time served, two years of supervised release and a $100 fine.

Comments

1. JOSE says:

TIME SERVED AND 100 DOLLAR FINE??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? THAT IS A LIFE IMPRISONMENT CHARGE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD….THIS COUNTRY HAS GONE OFF THE DEEP END WE ARE DOOMED

1. Jay Weinstein says:

I can guarantee those people he was trying to smuggle in had a better work ethic than the losers in our inner cities.

I don’t mind my tax payer monies going to needy people, but at least work.

That’s why, as much as I despise illegal immigration, I have to admit a lot of these Mexicans, Central and South Americans have superior work ethnics in comparison to our own welfare queens.

I mean at least they WORK, but that seems to be an alien concept to those in our inner city Blacks.

1. bob r says:

Jay Weinstein, I take it by your last name you are jewish. Since you felt the need to get ethnic and air your unfounded, unsolicited and ignorant prejudices (“Blacks/losers/welfare”), let me go there with you. How many jewish people do you know working the most menial job, like janitor, field worker, low wage security guard? Do you understand that more whites were on welfare than blacks? I could go on, but I don’t want to interupt your am radio brainwashing… I mean listening time.

2. Massimo Deportado says:

Liberalism is a disease that kills it’s host.
    Remember and vote!

On a lighter note, I find Columbian women HOT!

3. jon says:

I think they should have made an exception in this case. I mean I would personally let a couple of them bunk at my house.

4. ?????? says:

“The other “cheerleaders”, some of them minors, were not criminally charged and returned to Colombia.”

Do we know if these young women were relatives, or could this have been a group trafficking young women into prostitution? I sure hope ICE looked into this before recycling young girls back into a dangerous situation.

5. Howard Feinski says:

We only want productive intelligent mature . . .did you say cheerleaders? As in 16 yr. old slim-waisted nubile maidens? Let ’em in; bypass immigration.