Local

One Of Miami’s Most Wanted Fugitives Captured

View Comments
(Photo Credit: Miami Police Department) Suspect Calvin “Calbo” Warren

(Photo Credit: Miami Police Department) Suspect Calvin “Calbo” Warren

Peter-D'oench-600x450 Peter D'Oench
Peter D'Oench is a reporter for CBS4 News. He came to CBS4 from ...
Read More
South Florida Crime

MIAMI (CBS4) — Calvin “Calbo” Warren was one of the most wanted fugitives in Miami and had been arrested 27 previous times for a series of felonies.

Warren’s crime spree ended Friday morning as he was arrested changing his status from fugitive to inmate.

While Warrens’ family members profess his innocence, the families of the victims are breathing a sigh of relief.

One of those family members spoke out to CBS4’s Peter D’Oench. Salathia Stevens’s younger brother – 20-year-old Devon Broughton – and his friend Albert Latson, 26, were gunned down in a hail of bullets last Friday, September 16th.

“I thank God they caught the person who killed my brother. He didn’t deserve this. He was a good person,” Stevens said.

Broughton’s son also came under fire that night and managed to survive – even though 36 bullets were fired at Broughton who was standing by his car while visiting his friend. One-year-old Devon Broughton Jr. survived because he was inside the car.

A group of three men fired from a gray or silver Nissan at three people at Victory Homes, 530 NW 73rd Ter., shortly after 11 a.m.

Broughton came to visit Latson and left his one-year-old son in the front seat as he chatted near the car.

“Thank God nothing happened to my nephew. Thank God nothing happened to him,” said Stevens. “I just believe my brother was a hero here because he got in front of his car and he knew his baby was in the car. And he got in front of it so they could shoot at him. I feel he gave up his life to protect his son.”

Miami’s interim police chief Manuel Orosa said, “I’m happy that first, we were able to find him and make an arrest so quickly in this case.”

Warren, 22, had been connected to five murders, police had said. However, on Friday he was booked on two counts of second-degree murder and aggravated assault with a firearm and possession of a firearm of a convicted felon.

Warren’s sister April had been briefly detained and then released, Warren’s attorney Alexander Michaels said.

“My brother is innocent and everything will come out,” April said as she walked out of bond court. Warren was ordered held no bond.

Police say they still want to question Gustavous Dames, 33, and Pierre “P-Bo” Smith, 27, for their involvement in the homicides.

According to police, the murders stem from an ongoing dispute between former friends.

The most recent murder took place Saturday, Sept. 17th. Neighbors in the 1900 block of Northwest Second Avenue heard shots and called 911. When police responded they found Quaybon Gallon, 23, shot multiple times and lying on the ground. He was transported to Jackson Memorial where he died shortly after arrival, police said.

Two other murders took place on August 8th. Around 8:30 p.m. a gray or silver Nissan pulled up to 211 NW 12th St. and someone in the car opened fire, killing two men.

Police said Warren is linked to all five murders, and Dames and Smith are wanted for questioning in the Friday and Saturday killings.

“The message is that he is in custody. Don’t be afraid to come forward and help us with loose ends,” said Maj. George Martin.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the Miami Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 305-603-6350 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS (8477).

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,289 other followers