Casey Anthony’s Attorney Try Again To Stop Probation Order
ORLANDO (CBS4) – Casey Anthony’s attorneys are once again fighting her probation sentence for a check fraud conviction.
On Tuesday they filed a reply to the Attorney General’s Office filing in appellate court which said Anthony needs to start serving probation now that she is out of jail.
Circuit Judge Stan Strickland sentenced Anthony to a year of probation in January 2010 after she pleaded guilty to stealing checks from a friend. At the time, Strickland said Anthony should serve the probation upon her release, but those instructions never made it into a written order.
Corrections officials interpreted the sentence to mean Anthony could serve the probation while she was in jail awaiting her murder trial, where she was acquitted in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Strickland clarified in an order earlier this month that Anthony must begin her probation now that she is out of jail. He then recused himself from the case and turned it over to Judge Belvin Perry, who had presided over Anthony’s murder trial. Perry upheld Strickland’s order and said she must report to the probation office this Friday.
Anthony’s attorneys filed an appeal with the Fifth District Court of Appeals in Daytona Beach claiming she served the probation sentence in jail while awaiting her murder trial.
During an interview with Fox News, Anthony’s lead attorney Jose Baez confirmed that she was back in Florida. He also said that Anthony had spoken with her parents, George and Cindy, but had not talked with her brother, Lee.
Since her release from jail following her acquittal, Anthony has kept a low profile.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)