Exclusive: Miami FOP Vice President Accused Of Abusing Power

MIAMI (CBS4) – A Miami Police officer is under fire, accused of abusing his power on the streets. Former University of Miami football star turned pro, Jonathan Vilma recently filed a complaint against Sgt. Javier Ortiz, who is also the vice president of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Vilma said back in 2009 Ortiz went overboard during a routine traffic stop. He said the cop pointed a gun in his face, yelled profanity at him and charged with a number of things that were later dismissed in court.

Vilma declined to talk to CBS4 News about the complaint. It was sent to Miami police internal affairs and the Civilian Investigative Panel. Vilma’s attorney Michael Tein said the football star decided to file the complaint after watching a news story. In it, Ortiz admitted to emailing out a doctored photo of a suspect killed by police. The photo had drawn in red eyes and devilish teeth on Durrall Miller, a man accused of shooting at officers before he was killed.

A CBS4 News exclusive investigation has learned that several others have filed complaints against Ortiz. Octavia Johnson said she did so back in 2008 when Ortiz was one of several officers who stopped her while she had her two year old son in the car.

“Each one of them had my legs,” said Johnson. “The other two had my arm. I said ‘why is you all applying this much pressure to me?’. I said my son is in the car he said ‘I don’t give an f about that’.”

She said she pleaded with them not to be so rough, telling them that she was pregnant. Johnson, a school teacher, also said they threatened to put her son in DCF custody.

“Physically I was hurt because I had been bruised and emotionally I was distraught,” she said. “Because I never been done like that. I never experienced that type of behavior from an officer.”

An internal affairs investigation found Johnson’s complaint inconclusive. She said ultimately the charges against her were dropped.

But now as the complaints against Ortiz are piling up she’s hoping something will finally happen to him.

“He needs not just to be reprimanded,” she said. “But he needs to resign or be terminated from his position because he’s using the law at his advantage.”

Ortiz declined CBS 4 News’ request for an interview. Miami’s Chief of Police has not responded to our request for an interview.

Comments

1. Freddy says:

They abused her because she impersonated a “School Teacher”…..check out her grammer….God Help Us All

1. nomomsnowmrs says:

A simple misspelling of a few words still does not excuse the ABUSE!!, What if this was your Mom or Grandmom, with you or your child watching!!!

2. Octavia says:

I dont think you know me lke that to make such a commnet. However, I don’t think you know how it feels to be harrased bya police office in front of your child especially f you havent commited a crime. You need to get where I am in life and then talk what you know. Do not allow my physical characteristic to fool you. Hopefully I will have a chance to teach your child if you have any and we will have the opportunity to meet face to face. Have a blessed day and may God bless you and your amily. From: Mrs. Octavia Johnson

2. Robert says:

Hey, where is the freedom of speech? I posted a comment and it did not get posted… great

3. nomomsnowmrs says:

Mine did’nt get post niether, I guess they only want, the comments that justify the ABUSE!!! WOW!!

1. Chet says:

They do it to me all the time which is why I rarely comment anymore. We lost our freedom of speech [unless it lines up with what they want to hear] & many other rights the day after 911, just another way the terrorist have beaten us !! A proud American-not anymore-I’m disgusted by what this country has become, if I could afford it I would get out !!!!!!!!!!!

4. BJ McLaughlin says:

“Why is you all applying this much pressure to me”, “Because I never been done like that”. She’s a SCHOOL TEACHER?! The police brutality story aside, if anyone is still wondering about the problems in Miami-Dade schools, this might be a good topic for discussion. Unless of course we’re going to start teaching our kids the finer nuances of “Ebonics”.

5. Mrs Williams says:

Miami Dade School system’s should be ashamed of the non articulation that Ms Johnson did not use in this interview. I was appalled at her speech and please dont let me get started on her apperance. If that type of person is teaching the F-CAT , it’s no wonder they are failing.. Get it together Miami Dade geesh, another one of Brownsub’s Finest..

6. JOHNNY LAW says:

GOOD OR BAD COP….ITS THE SAME AS BEING PREGNANT….EITHER YOU ARE OR YOU AREN’T……NO IN BETWEEN. VICE PRESIDENT OF THE ” FRATERNAL ORDER OF POLICE “. DOES THERE SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM THERE…..GOOGLE HIM AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF

7. bill says:

This officer should be fired!!! Those who encounter these types of public servents have to report them and continue to report them until their peers understand they are a public stench and spoil the organization or department.

8. miamiman says:

Hey, is this the same guy criticizing Officer Watts this last week? Because she pulled a gun on a fellow police officer?

1. Thomas Chamberlain says:

Yep, the same clown … some of these idiots get the GOD complex once they have that badge. This joker is doing all he can to get the other officers to follow him, when in actuality, he’s a moron and should be cleaning toilets.

9. affected says:

Javier Ortiz need to be fired. He is abusive and has no remorse about his behavior. How many people he need to mess with and hurt in order for the internal affair department actually react.