S. Floridians React To Verdict In Casey Anthony Trial

MIAMI (CBS4)- As Casey Anthony stood before the courtroom Tuesday afternoon and awaited her faith South Floridians were glued to their televisions and computers for the latest on the decision. In the end, it was a shocker for many and relief for others.

After years of facing charges that she killed her daughter to lead a party lifestyle, Casey Anthony’s claims of innocence were vindicated Tuesday when the jury rejected murder and manslaughter charges that could have sent her to death row, convicting her only of four minor misdemeanor charges.

Many South Floridians have watched the cause closely from the beginning.

“I’m devastated as to this verdict,” Debra Bunker said. “I cannot believe that the verdict has come true to pass. This is another OJ. There is nobody to protect the little voices to say anything. I don’t understand. I don’t.”

One patron at a restaurant told CBS4’s Gio Benitez that justice was not served.

“Someone should go to jail for that,” he said. “That child had to go through all of that. I’m just totally shocked. I can’t believe it.”

As the charge of first degree murder produced a not guilty verdict, and then, lesser charges of and manslaughter child abuse were also rejected, Anthony started to cry.

She was convicted of four counts of lying to a law enforcement officer, and Anthony remains in custody pending sentencing later this week.

Frank Cuarezma said he was shocked.

“It’s just a shocker to me that she was found not guilty on every charge except for lying to the police,” he said.

Those on the other side of the fence say Anthony did not commit the crime.

“I don’t think she is a murderer for real,” Carlos Granados said. “I say it was really, really fair.”

“We had 12 people say that she is not guilty. That’s enough for me,” said Mike Fields of Miami.

Followers of the trial also voiced their opinions on CBS4’s Facebook page and Twitter.

Anthony’s attorneys had countered that the girl drowned in the family’s pool. They said Anthony panicked and that her father, a former police officer, decided to make the death look like a homicide by placing duct tape over the child’s mouth and dumping the body in some nearby woods. George Anthony has denied that.

The verdict means that officially, Caylee Anthony’s killer is still at large. Prosecutors made no statement about what, if anything, will be done to pursue any other leads in that case.

Comments

1. michellefrommadison says:

Baez said many times years ago that he plans to go after media, television, bloggers and sites for damages after the conclusion of this case, and I believe he will. He will be one of the riches people in the world soon, and many will fall to their demise as a result of their crimes against Casey Anthony and her defense team.

Yippie!🙂

1. eugene sorentos says:

I THINK THE WAY BAEZ ACT HE THINK IF HE IS A LAWYER HE CAN DO EVERYTHING HE WANT S TO JUST BECAUSE HE KNOWS THE LAWS… BUT BELIEVE ME THAT IN ONE DAY HE IS GONNA PAY IN A WAY OR ANOTHER I CAN T BELIEVE IT THAT THE JUSTICE HAS NOT BE DONE FOR THE LITTLE GIRL, I CAN T TRUST OUR JUSTICE ANYMORE AND OF COURSE THE JURRORS WERE GOING MORE EMOTIONALLY BUT THEY DON T LOOK ON THE EVIDENCE, TOO BAD THE JUSTICE GOT BLIND BECAUSE OF THE JURRORS, I M SO SORRY FOR THE LITTLE GIRL THAT HAS TO ENDURE LOT S OF PAIN AND FINALLY NO ONE HAS A WORD IN HER FAVOR…

2. Buz Bowen says:

She should sue the state for Attorneys fees

3. Buz Bowen says:

I just love these arm chair juries, what ever they read in the paper or hear on tv
    they believe it because if its in the news or on they it must be true, its is sad a little girl will never get to graduate, drive a car or have kids of her own, but the fact is the jury rendered its verdict and if she did do it, Caylee will come back to haunt her to death. The justice system has spoken, so get a life and move on.

4. claire ford says:

“Any other leads in the case” ????? ARE YOU JOKING????!!!!!

5. Ronald Puentes says:

When will people understand that it’s BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT??? Just because shes a horrible mother doesn’t make her a murderer, don’t blame the jurors, blame the prosecutors who never “PROVED” that she killed her!! Although she did it and we all know she did it, the JURORS did what they were supposed to do and base their verdict on the evidence shown in court and it was NOT “PROVEN WITHOUT A REASONABLE DOUBT” It couldv’e just been as easy for someone innocent to get convicted and sentenced to death with all that bullshit evidence. The jurors did what any of yall wouldve wanted done for you. Give you a fair verdict based on what is said and shown in court not on what Nancy Grace says on TV

6. Tom U says:

I did not follow this trial but am aware that most folks who did were convinced that she did it. Someone should bring up a wrongful death charge in civil court where the burden of proof is not as great. Our society expects video of the crime, eye witnesses, DNA evidence and a confession before one finds someone guilty. Tell enough lies and hope the body isn’t found or perhaps it can decompose and it will be hard to prove any crime occurred. Sad.

7. Me says:

We all have our opinions. The entire system is a joke. In my mind, she obviously killed her. Just like OJ, she got away with murder. The media jumped all over it and it turned into a reality TV show. People were probably paid off, a little script written in here and there made for perfect TV. My brother six years ago was arrested for having a half of a joint on him. He is still suffering from it trying to get a job and loans he had to take out for court fees, etc. I’m thinking if he would have committed murder and I made a few calls to Hollywood, my entire family would be rich right now. This country and judicial system is so hypocritical. Welcome to the USA.

8. Low IQ / High emotion Florida says:

She didn’t do it people. She was aquitted. This is over, move on and get a life.

9. S. PETERSON says:

RUB A DUB DUB BLUB BLUB BLUB WHAT A BATH

10. michellefrommadison says:

Not a complete breakdown of our justice system, just a breakdown by the prosecutors in this case. Since they were both trying to put Casey to death for a crime she was charged but not convicted, both prosecutors should be both charged with attempted-murder against victim-Casey Anthony.

11. Bettye says:

Justice always prevail, maybe not today or next week, look back, OJ is in prison, Michael Jacson is dead, recently a 54 yr old case of murder of a child was solved, and is being brought to trial. As for Caylee she is with OUR FATHER in heaven and I know that HE stepped in before she was scared and took her into HIS arms and come on baby we are going home.