Exclusive: Arrest Made In 2004 Lauderhill Double Homicide

LAUDERHILL (CBS4) – CBS4 News has learned that authorities have finally arrested a man they have been seeking for six and a half years and who is suspected of gunning down two people in 2004 in what one victim’s family then said was an act of jealous rage.

“When I heard the news, I said, oh my God, thank you Lord,” said Merl Stewart, the mother of one of the victims, 25-year-old Tanesha Stobbs. “Oh my God, I prayed night and day oh Lord for this to come.”

Stobbs told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench in an exclusive interview, “I feel joyful and grateful because many nights, I don’t sleep at night. I have sleepless nights. He robbed me of my life, all my life.”

CBS4 has learned that the suspect, 36-year-old Omar Williams, was arrested Wednesday morning in Orlando by Orlando County Sheriffs deputies. He was booked into the Orange County jail with a note that he was wanted in Broward County on first-degree murder charges.

Williams had been wanted for questioning by the Broward Sheriffs Office ever since Stobbs and 38-year-old Michael Robinson were found shot to death inside Stobbs’ Inverrary Village apartment on October 8th of 2004. They were both cooks at the same restaurant and had failed to show up for work.

It’s not clear how Williams eluded authorities for six and a half years or what he had been doing. CBS4 has learned BSO will announce the arrest on Thursday morning and will have more details then.

When D’Oench showed Stobbs’s sister, Kennesha Stobbs, a booking photo of Williams that was taken in Orlando, she yelld out, “Yes, that’s him.” And then she broke down in tears.

“Oh my God, it brings so much to my heart, my sister, she’s been gone several years, Oh my God,” said Kennesha Stobbs. “I’ve been waiting for this for 7 years. I have bee waiting for this day to come. The day they catch the man that killed my sister. I feel 100 per cent better. I am so happy. I am so relieved.”

“He took part of my life and the life of my sister. That’s all I had and he took it away from me for no reason. I thank you Jesus for this arrest.”

Kennesha told D’Oench that her sister dreamed of one day becoming a nursing assistant who would help the elderly.

“He’s got to pay,” she said. “I hope he pays.”

Merl Stewart said originally in 2004 that she had known Williams for many years, even when they were both living in Jamaica. She said at the time she was bothered by his crude language and disrespectful behavior.

More from Peter D'Oench
Comments

1. Ska says:

Omar Williams a nasty man.

2. NN says:

What he did is so bad. But those that got to know him know that he was trying to change his ways. Going back to Florida was the first step. surely he KNEW he would be found there. Let MAN not Judge. that is for God. He will have to meet his maker one day. I Pray for ALL the families involved!

3. MAURICE BROWN says:

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HIM TO SAY HE IS A NASTY MAN? NO ONE SHOULD JUDGE HIM BUT GOD,NOT US HUMAN CAUSE WE ARE NOT PERFECT.
    WHAT WAYS WAS HE TRYING TO CHANGE? WE ALL HAVE TO MEET
    OUR MAKER AND ANSWER TO HIM! NN DO YOU KNOW HIM?

4. nn says:

yes i do know him… personally… so i am speaking from the heart!

5. MB says:

NN, since you know him what was said that he as done, do you knw him as that kind of person? and how do you knw that he knew he would be found there…… (when you use the term he was trying to change is ways), I don’t like it, because he wasn’t a bad person. cause how he was in the area he was living, he wasn’t acting he was originally that GOOD KIND HEART PERSON!!!!!!!!

1. nn says:

obviously you have misunderstood my original message. I KNOW him… I KNOW what kind of person he is! I NEVER said he was not a good person! I support him 100% regardless of what happen in 2004! God has to judge NOT ME! He has always been a KIND HEARTED person to me and has shown me nothing less!

1. MB says:

Well now you made it clear!!!!!!!!! I just what to make sure I understood exactly what you were trying to point out… Cause people is going to say all type of stuff, people who didn’t even knew him…….. ALL I CAN SAY NOW IS HE HAS BEEN A WONDERFUL PERSON TO EACH AND EVERYONE, AND HE LOVES HIS KIDS AN FAMILY DEARLY!!!!!