Fight Over Property Lines, Parking Turns Deadly In Hialeah

HIALEAH (CBS4) – A dispute between neighbors turned deadly Sunday morning in Hialeah.

Police spokesman Detective Eddie Rodriguez said the fight between 47-year old Jose Mora and 33-year old Julio Pena was over property lines and parking in front Pena’s home at 390 West 40th Place.

Neighbors said the two were best friends but in the last eight months they had argued off and on over property lines, renovations and a new fence which Pena put up around the front of his home.  Family members say Pena was so worried about the situation he had installed security cameras outside his home in case anything happened.

On Sunday morning something did.

Witnesses told police at one point during Sunday morning’s argument, Mora ran into his home, got a gun and then came out and shot Pena multiple times.

“I don’t know, I don’t know, they were very, very good friends,” said Pena’s father in law, Cipriano Gonzalez.

Both men had recently taken restraining orders out on each other.

“The one time, he told him that he’s going to kill all his family,”said Gonzalez who noted that is when the cameras went up.

Several neighbors heard the shots and called police. They were there within minutes and took Mora into custody.

Rescue workers rushed Pena to a nearby hospital but he died before they arrived.

Rodriguez said the wives and children of both Pena and Mora were inside their respective homes when the shooting occurred.

Comments

1. rose says:

just sent him back to Cuba thats where he belong

1. Alex says:

rose were do you belong. Unless you are a native indian you either belong in Italy, Ireland or Some other country, so maybe you should go back to you ignorant idiot. Cocha, Your name sounds like it is derived from cocharouch and that is what you are, so crawl back to were you came from with those stupid comments.Dummy.

1. Sioux says:

I’m Native American and I find it exceptionally annoying that peope would demand for me to speak Spanish. Just because most people immigrate here, doesn’t mean that they should just continue to hole up in their own cultures… It’s important, when you move to a new country, to respect that culture while not treading on your own. The Spanish community here is vibrant and brings alot of positivity to south florida (and like every culture, mine included, some negativity)… but it is just as important to assimilate as the economy becomes more global as it is to retain heritage. If you are here to work, here to live, here to stay…learn to speak conversational english…just like some of us are attempting to learn to speak spanish. If you only want Spanish customers, then only attempt to speak Spanish. Let’s not be ignorant and all assume that a Native American wouldn’t read the post (granted, I understood where you were coming from). I’m not telling you all to leave. I think perhaps what could be more important than learning to speak English, is the pertinence of learning to respect everyone’s cultures, and from there building trust enough to help change the negativity that each one has the capability to produce.

2. Sioux says:

oh, and that comment was in reply to Alex and I know how to spell people. Didn’t want to seem like a phantom illiterate poster.🙂

3. SeenALotInMyTime says:

I find it freaking hilarious when a Cuban adamantly informs me that I should learn to speak Spanish – that everyone in South Florida should speak Spanish and that everyone should know how to speak TWO languages – Spanish, definitely being one of them. When I ask them why they are speaking to me in Spanish and not in English, as I remind them of what they just told me – how important it is to speak two languages – they stare at me in disgust and adamantly inform me that they will NEVER learn to speak Engish! ROFLMAO I guess in Cuba – what is good for the goose is not always good for the Gander.

2. Send her back says:

You’re not a rose, but a thorn. I thought living in a major industrial area there won’t be as many ignorant, stupid people like you. I grew up around “your kind.” The same type of people who were waiting for the world to end yesterday. I have a feeling you were one of them.

3. ester says:

how do you know where he belongs? the question is where do you belong?

1. R. Hy says:

When we went to school, we had to hear the class in English and then Spanish. Due to the first boat that arrived years ago. How do you expect people to spell right, when Education has suffered in Miami!

4. Vincent Marinello says:

Hey Rose there is no property lines to fight over where they came from…Now he can fight over the upper or lower bunk in his jail cell hahahahahahahahh

5. Vincent Marinello says:

hahah your ight where they came from they had no property and now they can fight over the upper or lower bunk in his jai;l cell hahahahhahahah idiots….

6. tomax says:

Why send him back he is just gonna float back over. Execute him a life for a life

2. yokolee says:

Can u imagine having ‘rose’ for a neighbor? hehehe

1. Vincent Marinello says:

would love to, a real patriot not a wanna be American

2. xomat says:

Shot I would love to her as a neighbor she will be courtious and respect her neighbors at least.

3. peter sanchez says:

Hey Eddie… in hialeah u dont need to Speakyyy English man!
    Eddie u need a man too!;-]

4. carol says:

if it is because his neighbor keeps letting their dog poop in their yard…i totally understand. I may be in a similar news story if my neighbor doesnt stop.

And Rose…You are proof that our educational system is failing miserably.

1. carol says:

oops…meant to say “….their dog poop in his yard”

otherwise…i pretty much said the dog is pooping in its own yard.

2. yokolee says:

good post carol

3. Observerfromupnorth says:

Sprinkle your lawn with cayenne pepper they won’t go there much longer.

5. Alex says:

1. Vincent Marinello says:

Alex keep Italy out of it and your spelling shows you need some more schooling hahahahah

6. Maria says:

it doesn’t say if they are cubans. Anyways this happens in many neighborhoods and are not cubans, people solved their problems with guns, sad very sad.

1. tomax says:

They live in Hialeah rere

7. Pat says:

if they live in hialeah there cubans

1. james says:

Pat your grammar is terrible, it should read “if they live in Hialeah, they’re Cuban.” Go back to school!

2. M. Frau says:

Ingnorance must be your middle name. I teach in the area, and there are a number of people from throughout Latin America who make their first stop in Hialeah: Colombians, Dominicans, Nicaraguans, etc..There is still actual “trailer trash” that still lives in Hialeah. Yep, red-necks who didn’t know how read or write either like you. I didn’t grow up in south Florida, and coming here I thought I was getting away from the stupid, racist people that live there. I guess they are just following me.

3. ester says:

pat, it does not mean that because you live in hialeah that you are cuban, don’t be ignorant my husband and I are both americans born in nj and we have been living in hialeah since 1979

8. Jane Doe says:

Leave the Russians out of it Kommrade.

9. Jane Doe says:

Just like there are Cuban thieves and a Cuban mafia the same goes for Russians. The both have their good and their bad. If you don’t like the comments made about Cubans then don’t make similar comments about others.

10. Sarcasm Sam says:

This is why they should have looser gun laws! If we could all carry our guns on our waistband someone could have just shot the guy that shot his neighbor. The real American way!

11. rose says:

let them know what time it is

12. weallsaywords says:

Both of these men fighting over a parking spot were fools, now both families have to suffer and the rest of you can fight over race issues. Hector so true about Elian. What were these Cubans thinking blocking or roads and thinking they have a right to keep someones son from his father. If they would get some B*lls and go fight for their freedom in Cuba, I would have more respect for them!!!

1. yokolee says:

I’m pretty sure we’ll need your respect/not!

1. weallsaywords says:

yokolee, is that the best you can come up with. I notice you place a lot of comments, but nothing worth reading..Get a life f**l.

2. Vincent Marinello says:

Your so right…But cowards allways want others to fight for their freedom weallsaywords

13. yokolee says:

English speaking city which once was, hahahhahahhahahah!-to you-from-me

14. james says:

Another reason to take guns off the street! Period! Now this family has to grow with no father and no husband.

1. ester says:

so true they need to get the guns off the streets so they don’t fall into the wrong hands, people loose their cool and in a split second they do something they will regret the rest of their lifes

15. Tyrone Goldstein says:

I heard Pena was parking in front of the other guys house because Pena did not want to ruin the grass in front of his. Mr. Mora got mad and killed him. Now they will both have good grass in front of their yard because neither of them will park there anymore.

16. Carlos Urquijo says:

DOSENT DESERVE A COMMENT,THAT TOWN IS 1 OF THE WORTS IN THE USA,MOST IN PART OF THE KIND OF GARBAGE LEAVING IN THAT CITY.

1. Grammargirl says:

Carlos, dude did your read what you wrote? Garbage leaving in that city? It doesn’t make sense. Grammar check please!! I’m glad you’re not one of those illiterate people and other garbage that lives nationwide.

2. Vincent Marinello says:

Whats a worts? hahahahahahahah

17. art says:

there allway’s have to be a wimp with a gun, since they can’t fight like real men, they need a weapon,,, more gun control Obama, like in European nation, perhaps eliminate guns, ”””

18. COCO says:

IDIOTS, NONE OF THE TWO MEN WERE CUBANS. ONE WAS FROM NICARAGUA AND THE OTHER FROM P. RICO.

I GUESS THE CUBANS ARE NOT LIVING IN HIALEAH ANYMORE. THOSE ARE FOR THE LATIN AMERICAN INDIAS THAT COME TO THIS CONTRY FOR THE MONEY, BUT REALLY HATE US.

WHILE THESE TWO FOOLS WERE KILLING THEMSELFES, CUBANS ARE BUSY RUNNING FLORIDA, AS DOCTORS, LAWYERS, TEACHERS AND BUSINESSMAN.

EAT YOUR HEART OUT SUCKERS~

1. Mari says:

Coco your rock! The two men weren’t Cubans–HA! HA!

1. SeenALotInMyTime says:

….. Cubans are busy running Florida …. Doctors (doctors that run their practices out of their garages, bilk millions out of medicare; Miguel Recarey – IMC – where is that SOB? Lawyers – ah yes, lawyers like Frank Adorno – due his magnificent action, he seems to single handedly closed down a 200 year old law firm and left about 2000 employees without jobs, need I say more – the list goes on and on and on.

2. Marian & Nicole says:

You mean the same ones that are running JMS/JMH into the ground ?😉

19. Tom says:

GUNS GUNS GUNS.. issues like this happens when we as adults cannot see stronger control control.. Over a stupid Insignificant parking spot someone looses their life and another’s is ruined for life. DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope stupid are humans?????

20. art says:

well said coco..for all those haters…..

21. Hector says:

I did not mean to stirs the bees nest, I myself am a Cuban American and proud of what I have accomplished ON MY OWN. America is the greatest country in the world, and I welcome any race creed or religion looking to live a better life. Unfortunately many of my fellow contrymen came here looking for hand outs. They have not made an attempt to learn the language and instead of trying to fit in created “Little Havana” and crerated exactly what life was like on the Island. I’m embarrassed of what Hialeah and Little Havanna look like, and yes Hialeah is at least 95% cuban.
    Look at the Hialeah Mayor, convited of crimes while in office, but yet we could’nt wait to vote him back in first chance we had. Yes the shooting is a tragedy, it could happen between Anglos, African Americans or anyone. Viloence is no no way to solve a problem ever. I understand the frustraion of the non-hispanics in Miami, it can be very frustrating at times for me as well

God bless all of us, let’s just try to get along, PEACE.

1. Jane Doe says:

Thank you. I appreciate your comment. My frined Ana feels the same way. It is people like you who I feel sorry for the most when the other Cubans you mentioned make the rest of you look bad.

22. Tom says:

I’m sorry for the gramatical mistakes let me re-issue my comment.. GUNS GUNS GUNS… issues like this happens when we as adults cannot see stronger gun controls. Over a stupid Insignificant parking spot, a life is lost and another’s is ruined for life. When are we going to wake up and realize that there is a need for stronger control controls. DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW STUPID ARE HUMANS?

1. Phil Landers says:

2 of the letter M are used in the word in grammatical Tom. Nice try lmao!

23. THE MAN says:

Someone isn’t playing well with others. This will show up un your progress report and you can expect a meeting with your parents and the Principal young man.

24. Back2bananarepublc says:

Besides terrorists, I don’t know another group of people that is as despised as Cubans, universally. You guys troll around forums trying to protect your people but you’re seriously living in denial. You say Cubans are successful? Who? The countless corrupt politicians? Dishonest contractors that over developed So. Fla for their own profits? The shady doctors with questionable billing practices and countless fraud cases? The above average sleazy lawyers? Yes! Cubans are successful at being sleazy and corrupt. Many REAL successful immigrant groups…..Chinese, Mexican, Brazilian, Indian, Filipino…..not Cubans.

1. ester says:

there are very successful cubans, hate to burst your bubble and letting you fall flat on your behind which seems where your brain is located, my family came from cuba in the early sixties and late sixties , and Im PROUD to say that i have people in my family that have been very successful. and we are not trashy or sleazy, there is good and bad in all races and nationa;ities so please do not generalize because I think taht you would take big offense i f i were to say that all americans are dirty because I have sat at a restaurant and the “American person in back of me has thought nothing about burping as lousd as possible or to say that gringas are loose

1. Respect is earned, not given says:

Ester, you should try harder to educate your fellow Cubans, who have been here since 1959, to:

1. Speak English.
        2. Fly the US Flag.

Then perhaps, us non-Latinos, will respect you.

25. Recallmaster says:

Please explain why Cubans call other Latins Indians? The last time I checked there were plenty of black Cubans living in South Florida and in the Island. Mr or Mrs. coco, Cubans do not run Florida, Scott runs Florida, very poorly I may add. In addition, if all Cubans were Doctors and Lawyers Miami would not be the garbage it is today. However, You forgot to mention that the Cuban doctors were busy stealing money from Medicare and running ilegal clinics. Cubans have done a lot of killing in Hialeah too, like the guy who killed his girlfriend along with co workers due to a jelaous rampage. Trash comes in many flavors and we have plenty in South Florida.

1. ester says:

miami is what it is because of very successful cubans who do you think put up all those high rises in downtown miami, my uncle may he rest in peace was mone of them and with his hard earned money working hard since he came from cuba at 17 and started working as a dish washer, andy Garcia the actor also worked as a bus boy and look where he is now another very respected cuban actor

1. Overthrow Castro Yourselves says:

Ester, stop lying and smoking crack. Cubans did not built them highrises. White Anglos did. You Cubans were SUCESSFULL are ripping Medicare off, mooching off the government, and being loudmouths are everything else. If you had real balls, you would have overthrown Castro yourselves. If you still had balls, ya’lll gang up together and overthrow Castro yourselves. But y’all too lazy to do that.

The End.

26. MiamiGuy says:

Not as bad as Liberty City

1. R. Hy says:

MiamiGuy, you are right about that. There is nothing but problems there. Although white trailer trash Americans have their own set of problems, with all the Shi*t that goes on there.

2. 4thgradegrammarpolice says:

As I stated earlier, I teach in Liberty City…and I quite like it despite some of its less than appealing features…. My fourth graders even know how to spell PROPERTY, which is more than can be said for CBS MIAMI… *See title of article*. I am serious, I should have thought of it earlier instead of attempting to create terrible sentences on the board….I’m simply going to print the articles and give them out for them to correct. Ingenious, efficient, and FREE.

27. Ariel says:

She was right!!!

28. vladimir says:

Rose, they should learn to speak English, no doubt but you’re wrong too mima. If you don’t know Spanish and live in South Florida then you’re in disadvantage and you’re also being ignorant to come to a place where you know people usually don’t speak English to act like you’re better than them and tell them what they need to do. There’s a lot of English speakers that are willing to learn Spanish to not only have better job opportunities but to improve their social relationships.

1. R. Hy says:

vladimir just because Americans are willing to learn Spanish, doesn’t mean they should have to. If you move to another Country, it is your job to learn their language. Not the other way around. When you go anywhere in Miami, people speak to you in Spanish first. That is wrong. I won’t even speak to them, unless they talk to me in English. Before all the Spanish people moved to Miami, people had more respect for each other. Too many people say when they visit Miami, that the people are rude.

29. Manuel Gutierrez says:

It’s is funny but none of the comments mentions Substance Abuse. Maybe a blood test of the living party and an autopsy of the deceased will reveal chemical agents that induced this lethal confrontation over property rights.

1. R. Hy says:

Hey leave the property alone. Because of these two fools fighting, there are two families that will not have a father to help support and take care of the families. The children didn’t ask to be born and if we take their houses it affects the children, the only incident ones.

30. observerfromupnorth says:

And I would have went to another place in the mean time I would have wrote my congressman, the BBB, and anyone else that would like to jump the band wagon with all this language barriers if you do not speak English I will return my merchandise and shop else where and once true Americans start doing this it will end. I do not care where you are from but your are on AMERICAN SOIL and came here to live the AMERICAN DREAM speak English, because the days of yonder are almost over listen and learn.

1. R. Hy says:

Very true. I noticed the Spanish speaking people who went to another State where there were not Spanish speaking living there, adjusted much better.

31. Jose says:

Well put Sioux

32. DirtyWhiteBoy says:

Miami Dade is now a Third World Country. Them Latinos people can’t live, reason, and treat each other like normal like normal people. Deport them all back to their Latin American Slums.

33. ester says:

I agree with you on the subject they do need to learn English my family came in the 50s and 60s and they all speak english

34. 4thgradegrammarpolice says:

is anyone else perturbed that in the very TITLE of this article there is a typo????? I am going to have my fourth grade class in liberty city proofread these because majority of them are wrought with horrible spelling and non-existing grammar, and personally it would make for a fantastic “Do now”…We will post our corrections on every article that your news channel uploads. Mark. Our. Words. (which will all be correct). We will give you a pass on this one…but come on now…really? Propery?

1. Phil Landers says:

Either you are a lying or an escaped mental patient but you sure aren’t going to be teaching anybody how to write a paragraph anytime soon. You post is riddled with errors. It should read and look like this:

Is anyone else perturbed that in the very “TITLE” of this article there is a typo?! I am going to have my fourth grade class in Liberty City proofread these articles because a majority of them are wrought with horrible spelling and non-existing grammar. And I personally feel that it would make for a fantastic “Do now”. We will post our corrections on every article that your news channel uploads. Mark – Our – Words. (which will all be correct). We will give you a pass on this one, But come on now . . . really . . . Propery?!

Quit calling the kettle black and making yourself look like an imbecile to those of us with an IQ higher than 140 ;-/ You’re welcome Dave. MUAH!

1. Phil Landers says:

Slight correction upon further review. Take that unnecessary period out from behind Mark-our-words and I think we have a gem 8-D

2. Phil Landers says:

Oh, and it’s “Your post” mubbad pffft!

3. Thanks says:

Phil,

That was rather unkind. I am certainly not a lying (not sure that made much sense since you are being so picky about “comments”) or an escaped mental patient. Clearly I upset someone, which was not my intention. I like to pull your articles for Social Studies and it is difficult to do that sometimes when there are so many errors. I was unaware that comments posted would be under the same scrutiny that a news article by a professional writer would be, but I sincerely apologize for the error in my thought process, which according to you is severely flawed. My IQ is a 146 by the way. I’m sure Dave feels much better, but your scathing remark about my “comment” made me feel a little terrible about what I do day in and day out. I teach in a rough area and I feel that it is important to expose them to as much as possible, especially print rich material. That being said, when your paper has obvious mistakes, it makes it difficult to logically require my students to write correctly. Again, I apologize for stepping on someone’s toes. It was meant to be more of a joke. I hope you all at CBS4 have a fantastic day. Hopefully I can figure out how to teach my students how to write a paragraph for their sake. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.

4. Whois"dave"? says:

I apologize if I came off in a way that was counterproductive or rude last night. I was just being sarcastic in my initial comments. I felt I was decently nice in my response to Phil. I will be much kinder in the future if Phil agrees to a truce… (still being sarcastic)…and I agree about the debate between grammar and spelling errors, I just think it’s important for newschannels to make sure that everything makes sense. You are correct, and I feel much more inclined to change things or respond in a positive manner when things are presented with reciprocal respect. I truly was just taking a more playful approach. I have probably five kids that can spell property in my classroom…it was a simple joke. My apologies again for coming off rudely; I will certainly attempt to monitor my tone and approach in the future.🙂

5. Phil Landers says:

I don’t work for the station, but I find it a bit ludicrous when somebody is pointing fingers at the mistakes of others while their posting is rife with errors. Especially when they tout their self as some sort of exemplary professional.

6. Steve says:

Phil, what I think is lost is that this medium opens itself up to criticism just as any other print media would. Using this forum as a way to anonymously attack other posters is silly. The author opened himself up to criticism when he decided to make the original error-laden post. An actual professional would have taken to time to edit their original story. But I suppose that may be too much to ask of a person whose job it is to post stories like this on the website.

This is where I wanted this post to go. The above poster is not doing her job while making this post. We can all agree the the article was written poorly. I would think leaving a comment on this thread is akin to writing an email or sending a text message. I would bet that there are a few people out there who don’t pay total attention to their MLA handbook when posting comments. I do, however, expect people who call themselves journalists to actually consult and live by that handbook. Perhaps the internet has allows for journalistic standards to slip, who knows. What I do know is this: if you’re actually defending this lack of consideration for one’s craft, you’re just as bad as the original author.

7. Steve says:

35. Robert says:

Um, first off…ROSE, you are a f/n idiot! Obviously english is NOT your first language, so shut the f up! Don’t even get me started about your flip-flopping around the issues. If you look at the age of these men…it is reasonable to assume that these men are American, born here to Cuban Parents, possibly the children of Pedro Pan children….the age fits. I know Rose, you have no clue what-so-ever of what I am talking about, the point is…if they were born here, they are citizens of the United States you dullard! BTW, sad state of affairs what this story was really about…two ruined lives and families over parking, stupid.

36. Clay Renoit says:

ONE MORE THING IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A DOG BARKING ALL NIGHT. tHE ONLY THING THAT WILL STOP BARKING IS A BARK-OFF YOU CAN FIND IT AT ANY WAL-MART, CVS, WALGREENS,KMART IT DOES AND (((AWESOME JOB ))) AND YOU CAN SLEEP AGAIN…THIS is not right you work late and evertime you try to get some sleep a dog barks 24/7 365 days out of the year….He does not miss a beat on barking But For $9 buy this bark-off and it ((((((((WORKS)))))) YOU WILL GET THE BEST SLEEP…THE BEST $9 WILL EVER BUY YOU….sometimes the dog wants to be a jerk and it will seem that nothing is working go buy one more…THE BRAKES…not a sound. WOW sometimes the owner of the dogs will get more dogs but just two bark-offs will work…back to sleep..Why the police never help people in sleeping…It’s like they don’t care if YOU can’t get any sleep. One cop said to me if i don’t like dogs barking all night just move…So is the cop not getting any sleep…i am not. But after I bought this bark-off $9 cvs. STOPPED THE BARKING. MAYBE THIS IS THE WAY COPS SLEEP.

37. A wandering stranger says:

I never comment on anything I read lately because on most occasions people end up having arguments amongst each other on these comment threads. I find it interesting that rather than seeing beyond the ethnicity or race of the victim and suspect the majority of people involved in this thread are making judgmental and demeaning comments that evidently leads to such terrible confrontations. Wasting time on constructing demeaning statements towards other individuals isn’t the greatest investment of time you can make towards the life you have left to perhaps do beneficent acts.

38. Concerned “Tax Paying” Citizen says:

Interesting that Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina just announced his candidacy for county mayor.
    If elected, will this “Hialeah mentality” spread throughout the rest of the county ?

39. Don Mazzone says:

No winners in this case, both familys lose. All the remarks are not needed. We should be praying for the love ones. GOD BLESS THEM!

40. Vincent Marinello says:

Better A theif then a killer of man……over a property line on doubt…Must be your homies…..hahahahahahha

41. Phil Landers says:

This entire thread is a nightmare on multiple levels. WoW! “Who are the people in your neighborhood” as Fred Rodgers plays me over to the desk . . . or was that BIG Wilson?😎 Yeah, ya’ like that comment don’t-cha!

42. Ruth says:

As always, the story shifts from what actually happened to their ethnicity. Everyone please this kind of tragedy could have happened anywhere with any kind of person—race etc. is not the tragedy to this story there are two—one, a man lost his life–very sad, the other will end up in jail. And two, haters who only find the opportunity to bash a race—well, of course Cubans are at fault for everything. I think if Cubans didn’t live here these types of crime would occur—no person is perfect and no one has the right to bash others like they do in this comment page like I read everyday–wake up people, have some compassion for the HUMAN race–not just yours. And by the way I am NOT Cuban, but I know a lot of good one as I do all other nationalities.

43. Revelation says:

‘Fight leaves one man dead and one in jail’.

The world is filled with demonic possessions, mind bending drugs, sodom horror exploitation and every day slavery gets worse, but failing to work to secure THE WORLD is where wars continue.
    Demonic possessions mind control and weapons of destruction don’t mix.
    False injected, extracted behavior and what people thing is need is a brain storm that needs recognition. Crime prevention and anti-terrorist education can help secure society from bad sheet rock plantations.
    Our condolences to the victim’s family and also a jail person with less families. Where there could have been many in union now there is less union. Begin.

44. steve says: