Suspected Thief Shot Dead At Miami Shores Home

MIAMI SHORES (CBSMiami) – A man suspected of trying to steal a personal watercraft from the dock behind the home of a Miami Shores attorney was shot and killed Saturday afternoon, after what police say was a confrontation between someone in the attorney’s family and the alleged thief.

The shooting took place at a home which is shown in public records as belonging to Attorney Jeffrey Davis, in the 9700 block of North Bayshore Drive.

Investigators said a woman and a teenaged boy were at the home when a man was spotted on the property, at the dock behind the house. Police said the man was apparently trying to steal a personal watercraft, which was in a lift at the home’s dock. Investigators believe he was dropped at the dock by a person piloting another watercraft.

Investigators said there was some kind of confrontation between the people in the home and the suspect, which resulted in gunfire. The suspect was shot and killed, and his body fell into the water, where it was recovered by police.

Miami-Dade Homicide detectives are investigating, after Miami Shores police responded to the initial 911 call. Police have not confirmed the owner of the home, the identities of those people in the house, or who fired the weapon.

They are still searching for the pilot of the other watercraft.

Comments

1. Marc says:

Do you realize how much they have helped society by getting rid of this thief? I do not gate thieves. But I do think they should be eliminated just like we eliminate bacteria or vermin.

We need to start rewarding people who help out like these folks.

1. Anonymous says:

It’s going to be a nice little ride for the attorney when they find out that his statement was a lir because he shot a person who did not have a gun and was DEAF! Nice one!

2. Carlos Gonzalez-Rosquet says:

It’s been a hard year for our ocean’s, first the BP oil spill, then the radiation from the earth quake in Japan after that they dump Bin Ladin’s dead body in it and now some low life thief. I just hope he didn’t float in the water for to long and contaminate it worse that what it is!

3. Jose says:

problem solved

4. irish kevin says:

Good riddance. Job well done.

5. PITUFO CALDERON says:

this thief is gonna learn one way or another.you should’nt take whats not yours.and i hope that other idiots learn to think twice before you act.or become another statistic.

1. irish kevin says:

I think he learned his lesson🙂

6. Phil Gaines Forklift says:

One less thief…but I’m sure he was in his church choir right?

Play the game, you’re gonna get played!

1. Carlos Gonzalez-Rosquet says:

If you ask his mother she will say “he was a good boy”

1. Philip Scharfy says:

What about daddie?

2. Daphanie Hernandez says:

I AM SURE THAT SHE WONT SAY THAT BUT SHE WILL SAY THAT MY SON HAD HIS PROBLEMS BUT DID NOT HAVE A GUN AND WAS MUTE SO IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THAT HE S A I D HE HAD A GUN!!!!

7. Dave says:

It’s Florida Law, you have the right to use deadly force to stop/prevent a Felony. Stopping someone from stealing your Personal Water Craft (Jetski), is a Felony. That property owner had every right to use deadly force and rid this planet of that trash.

1. cris says:

The “Stand your ground law” is actually meant for “self-defense” not to stop or prevent a felony, especially when the “felon” is a deaf mute who couldn’t have conveyed to anyone he had a gun!

8. irish kevin says:

Put a sock in it, please.

1. Keno Smith says:

No, follow the law or don’t follow the law. Which will it be. We can’t just follow some laws because we like them and they sound good and disobey others for the same reason. Short story, we cant just pick and choose the laws we want to obey. PUT A SOCK ON THAT.

1. Terry R says:

Well-said!

2. irish kevin says:

My comment was in response to someone who was defending the thief. Their comment was deleted after my post. Sorry it was taken out of context.
      Good riddance to another thief.

9. tony says:

your an idiot it got what he deserved

10. Keno Smith says:

I thought using deadly force in the defense of property was against the law. just saying.

1. Philip Scharfy says:

another liberal heard from…

2. Kent Bonde says:

Perfectly legal in the state of Fla

3. phillip says:

Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?

A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
      Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

4. Carlos says:

If the “perp” brandished a weapon on the home owners property, then they have a right to meet that force with deadly force,however, we don’t know the details,being that’s it’s an ongoing investigation.

11. whiplash says:

The thief once confronted could have probably just walked away but he decided to die instead. Not very smart but good shooting on the part of the homeowner. Saved the tax payers a BUNDLE

12. Ron says:

thank Goodness for some real outsanding Citizen you got my blessing THANKS

13. End of world says:

I guess today was his end of the world.

14. Money says:

I think this guy did a great job !! But , I wanna know why it’s ok when a citizen defends his life it’s ok to kill somebody . But when a cop does , everybody seems outraged ?

15. johnny walker says:

GOOD JOB!! one less theif in the streets of miami. I would have done the same if someone tried to steal my jetski. BLAST HIM!!

1. Terry R says:

yeah?? what would you do the ken lays of the world? beg them to let you join their country club?

16. johnny walker says:

GOOD JOB!! One less thief!! I would have done the same thing if someone tried to steal my jetski! BLAST HIM!!

17. STEPHEN BURKE says:

DESPERATE TIMES DESPERATE MEASURES. NOW THAT PERSON WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT THEY TOOK A LIFE. THE ATTEMPTED THIEFT TOOK MORE THAN A JET SKI.

18. Law Abiding Citizen says:

Job well done. Now maybe they can take the tax dollars saved and give them to the school system to save the arts.

1. Terry R says:

TO LAWABIDING CITIZEN … aka moron. Did we do that to Ken Lay? Nah, he ONLY stole BILLIONS! Not a jet ski! Hypocrites.

19. Phil Gaines Forklift says:

He should’ve just defrauded Medicaid/Medicare. Stealing watercraft to pawn? C’mon, think bigger.

20. phantom says:

mAN WHOEVER EDITS AND WRITE THESE STORIES ARE REALY ILLITERATE. tHEY SHOULD TAKE A CRASH COURSE ON GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION OR SOMETHING.

1. Alvis Afanador says:

jejeje

21. gary liv says:

today he went up on the clouds to meet jesus on his judgement day since today was may 21 according to the senile pastor at least the revelation he had came true for somebody and it was a thief awesome

22. Terry Reed says:

What a bunch! Judge, jury and executioners! No innocent until proven guilty in THIS nation, eh? It’s not the govt removing rights, WE do it to ourselves. We don’t deserve Heaven. Was it really worth it — a human life for a JET SKI?! Buncha lowlifes, indeed.

1. Alvis Afanador says:

Well said….

23. Zapata says:

Chance the SHOOTER might be prosecuted unless his or her life was in danger. Like or not, it is illegal to SHOOT and KILL a thief. Whether the SHOOTER would be CONVICTED in MIAMI is another matter. Maybe not. Depends on the judge and the jury. On the other hand if the shooter was the lawyer, I suppose the State will let it slide if the this attorney is well[-connected. Then again, State might just prosecute since as an attorney he should he should have known better. My guess: no prosecution. If an attorney, he will find a loophole to avoid that. For example, the thief shot at him first, threatened him with a knife, etc. Just saying !

1. JusPassinBy says:

Not to mention the alleged thief’s relatives will probably file a wrongful death suit in hopes of cashing in on the event. In the end, it might have proven a lot cheaper if the shooter had let suspected thief just take it and then collected on the insurance.

24. boliitho says:

they sjold have jeft him in the water to keep bin laden company…

25. Philip Scharfy says:

I wonder if he felt The Rapture on his Judgement Day?

26. Frank Ortiz says:

This is the kind of news that needs to be reported by the media. Another lawful gun owner legally defending their property.
    When thieves and criminals know law abiding citizens will protect themselves and their property – they will start working at MdDonalds before they consider crime against the innocent.

27. Justice Prevailed says:

That should be the outcome for all crooks and thieves. Its a perfect example of the ability for Americans to bear arms and defend themselves in a justified way. It saved our taxpayers a lot of money jailing this person, having multiple trials and investigations by our already busy police dept.

28. Haysoos Creestoe says:

What would Charlie Sheen think.

29. phillip says:

Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?

A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;

Robbery and burglary seems justified…they just need to prove difference from theft…not that hard.

30. Florida Goldengirl says:

Watch now – the family of the dead thief will try to sue the family / person who shot him and the police and probably whoever manufactured the ”watercraft” because they made it so appealing that he couldn’t help himself. Then you will see wailing and moaning and groaning on the t v and the mother falling to her knees lamenting the loss of her good , sweet, boy.

1. irish kevin says:

Yes, such a good boy he was….😉

31. jb says:

A lawyer shot dead a thief, what an Irony?

1. yokolee says:

jb

best post!

what ‘truth ‘can come from a lawyer?

2. MattGordonMD says:

An ambulance chasing lawyer at that. Go figure.

32. juan says:

sad now the owner that worked really hard for their property will likely face jail time.

33. j says:

Good Job, they were probably the guys who stole my two!
    God works in mysterious wayz (God 1 thives 0)

34. Dan says:

It’s sad to see that this artical has the most comments. People rather say hateful things and praise the death of someone. Instead of holding a debate about gun laws or sharing a similar story that you might have experienced, people only want to say hateful things. I know this guy was a bad guy and it was legal but why all the
    hate and racism, there is one post about the Heat game, I would rather see 51 posts rooting
    For the Heat istead of 51 posts saying how happy they are “a peice of shi! Was killed.”

35. Go heat39 says:

There are 3 side to every story. The victims, the suspects, and then the truth. And by good police work the truth will be told and now all we can do is wait and see.

36. Ap says:

There’s no item in this world worth taking some ones life. If they saw the thief on the dock all they had to do is simply call 911 and wait in the house. Now if he had entered the house that would be a different story

1. MattGordonMD says:

Well said. However, that isn’t as much fun as grabbing one’s firearm, leaving one’s secure dwelling and confronting an alleged thief out on the back dock. The bonus is that because of previously having been victims of armed robbery, they likely were trigger-happy to dispense “justice” one trigger-squeeze at a time. Wonder if the deaf-mute alleged thief was shot in the back?

37. MattGordonMD says:

The police should review the security camera video tape, if it exists, of this incident. One can’t honestly feel threatened if one chooses to exit a secure dwelling to confront an alleged thief out on the back dock. Also, therae is unverified info that the deaf-mute teenager was shot in the back by either Yasmin Davis or her son. The police should have been able to ascertain straight away which one took a life to defend their wave runner.

38. DMJ says:

As a licensed gun owner for over 15 yrs, I would never take someone’s life over a material item. Deadly force should only be used if you or someone else’s life is in danger. Lets get this right, the home owner left the safety of his home, where he could of easily called the cops, confronted the man and shot him to death. That just doesnt sit well with me as a human being. I do agree that as a owner you have the right to protect your property, but in my opinion that was extremely excessive.

39. marina levy says:

I live in Miami Shores (east) .
    In January 6 /2011, my house was burglarize.
    The Robber or robbers broke a glass window and took all my jewelry.
    However; the worst part was to find my home in such bad condition while holding my two year old daughter.
    Thank G that they were gone!

40. diana says:

We are not saying he was not doing bad by stealing something the point is he couldn’t speak and he was shoot in the back, what threat is he when he is walkng away from you. That kid picked up a gun and shoot someone theif or not why isn’t that being looked after? I agreee it will be a nice ride for the attorney when the investigation finishes

41. someone says:

i think they should left alone cause of the fact is some in your backyard stealing stuff they don’t wanna work. when in your backyard without your permission their intentions are bad . when thief go to jail they come back out and do the me thing they were doing before getting caught.

42. james Patrick says:

Taking out the garbage one bag at a time.I wouldn’t live in this state with out a weapons permit.My gun is like my American express—I don’t leave home with out it.

43. james patrick says:

I am surprised his mama isn’t on TV saying what a good boy he was.They always do but the police cant show his ten page rap sheet.