PlayStation Network Remains Closed

MIAMI (CBSMiami.com) – Sony PlayStation owners hoping to get back online and use the PlayStation network will be out of luck for several more weeks.

According to Bloomberg News, the PlayStation network will not be restarted until May 31 at the earliest as the company works on improved security for the network.

Sony had been planning on restarting partial operations Monday, but those plans were abandoned after the company fought off another hacker attack over the weekend.

The PlayStation network, along with Qriocity services, was shutdown on April 20 after a massive data breach was found. Hackers have since started posting data online or selling it to anyone who can pay.

Comments

1. daviston85 says:

Man this is getting ridiculous it’s time for us as users/owners of playstation 3 to start reporting these people that we know can hack the game

1. Alonzo Norman says:

yea i agree

2. shawn says:

Ok time to trade in the ps3.

1. MadDogStefko says:

Agreed. Time to twitter a boycot here in the States. Sony has let down many consumers and there is no way to trust them. They can’t, won’t, or just don’t know how to communicate effectively with their customers (and probably staff). If I were a shareholder I would demand the resignation of the CEO and I would terminate all IT employees. Billions of dollars stands to be lost. When Microsoft (XBox) went down, they were on line within two weeks. Why? Because all of the consumers are PAID subscribers. Most PS3 players are not. Why should Sony work a little harder? I have already noticed many PS3s up for sale on site like Craigslist etc which only stands to reason that we collectively are fed up with the lack of communication and total disregard.

3. jkhkjhg says:

sony sucks, This is BULL the 31st of may WOW SONY GOOD JOB NOT!!!!

1. T Ron Hawthorne says:

it’s not sony you should be upset with, it’s the damn hacker(s)

1. Alonzo Norman says:

stop the hackers

4. paul says:

thats it i’m trashing my ps3! takeing a hammer to it smashing it to bits

5. pablo says:

man , I can’t belive this , I haven’t play mygame since the put dowm the sistem .whats next. playstation people should report this guys to the police o we gonna have to do it our self.

6. CAM says:

UH…..WHO REALLY CARES, YOU PEOPLE REALLLLLLLLLLLY NEED TO GET A LIFE, GO OUTSIDE, GET A JOB, AND GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS HOUSE.

1. Ryan Sharpe says:

Actually…I’m a homeowner with a nice house…full time employed, part time student, married with a 11 month old son…and still enjoy unwinding on the PS3…and yes, this outage sucks….don’t stereotype!

7. rex moll says:

wow cam your an idiot can some of us that Play Ps3 don’t live at home with our moms lol you must have mommy issues and yes i agree we as the users should report anyone we find that are hackers they are some piece of work smart enough to hack yet too stupid to actually play the game the right way and have fun online with friends after work or school. I agree with Ryan the stereotypes suck as well as this outage and its bogus how many people try to blame Sony yet it’s the hackers that are really the blame makes no sense to me. I am a collage man myself and yet i find idiots everywhere.

8. jimbe says:

lol this is funny. People getting mad at Sony. You guys do know its not Sony’s fault this happened right? if anything be mad at those hackers. They are the ones that did this. And besides…you can still use a ps3 for a lot of things lol…like watch a movie….or even play games without going online lol….you people are just out right ridicolous….smashing a ps3 just cause you cant go online lmao….what happened to the good old days when the ps was not played online….those days arent gone yet….so please wise up and dont do or write anything stupid before you use your common sense people….

9. Ken says:

It’s not that serious people…there is more to do with life other than playing a damn game. Yes, I’m just as upset as you are about the outage but I’m being patient because once everything comes back up then I will still be able to play online FREE!!!! Those people going over to 360, good luck with paying $35+ per month just to have the same functionality as playstation. We will be glad you left because that will be more space for me to do what I need to do on PSN.

The fact that Sony is investing their own money (not asking us for a dime) tells me they are committed to making sure this doesn’t happen again. So during this down time try reading a book, watching some tv, hell go outside and enjoy life. Don’t let a damn game get you riled up like this, it’s not that damn serious.

1. KCONNOR says:

Yea well when Black Ops first came out the main question i heard was is this game going to be hacked i think after two weeks the game was just not fun, my thing is this for those hackers who do this. the system should suspend from online play, if you have to lose 5,000 system and save a million real customers then so be it.

10. Josh says:

I would rather they wait and bring it up when personal data isn’t compromised. PS3 is still by far the best system out there and I have no plans to jump ship anytime soon. They (Sony) are losing millions of dollars due to this so trust me when I say they want it back up asap. This outage at the very least is letting me get used to using the sharpshooter controller on socom 4. Other than missing online for socom and dc online I for one am glad they are fixing the system. Not to mention that even though psn is free Sony is offering a bunch of free stuff as an apology for something caused by hackers.

11. eric says:

WOW! I’m glad that I have both systems! eventhough ps3 online is free it’s wide open to attacks. It could happen to Xbox too, but less likely because xbox has a closed system for online hosting (Xbox themselves are the host). On playstation anyone can be the host which leads to problems.

12. eric says:

The new maps are really nice by the way!!!

13. Nikki Von C says:

This Isnt SONY’s Fault??? When you run an old server and dont update it or protect it with a firewall, you are begging to be hacked. I put full blame on Sony for this and they need to get with the program. So all you fanboys get off Sony’s nutz and realize this is THEIR FAULT!!!!

14. the_rock14048 says:

this by far not sony’s fault when they catch the people that did this i hope they get the death penalty.i will never jump ship to gay box,sony for life oh and this goes out to sony please do somthing about the game hackers on cod black ops.please make a patch so them hack programs don’t work. thanks for the good work you are doing on making a better network

15. Wan says:

It really sucks not to play online especially games like madden or black ops because the online play is where the best competition is. I understand the delay but just thought it would have been done a little faster. Hey Sony how about half off the price of the escalation map pack for compensation….that would be great.

16. John says:

I really wouldn’t care so much, as I have a mac, and so no information was divulged via closed network,,, but for those of us who have bought Nascar 2011 and have been awaiting for patch #2 to clear out the bugs??? this does suck for us.. they were just getting ready to test the patch and send it out, when the network went down, and now it’s even prolonged , “the prolonge!” It sucks, not to protect via firewall, Sony! by the way, still don’t know how to save “custom setting’s in the mlbtheshow you released this year. Horrible customer service! Don’t even know your own games!! Don’t know how to even support behind video gaming. Now this?? Sony may have a nice tv? but they haven’t got a clue…..frustrating

17. Conrad Dullen says:

Bye-bye ps3 and Sony,you strung us along for way too long.You just lost a customer who has purchased MANY of your products over the years,but not anymore if you would have just been TRUTHFUL from the start i wouldnt have too come to this conclusion but enough is enough.

18. Ryan says:

i agree with Wan. a free of half off map pack would be great.

What would also be great is if Sony hadnt given us a bunch of dates in which they planned to have PSN up over the last 2 weeks. they cant even keep up with their own deadlines. Sony, Please get your act together soon! i miss PSN!!

19. Cory says:

First off, XBOX Live subscription is not $35 a month. It’s $60 for a full year which comes out to $5 a month. I had an XBOX 360 but now have a PS3. I can tell you without a doubt that XBOX is worth every penny of that $5 a month. The network is remarkably faster and more reliable, and packed with more features (such as cross game chat). My PS3 fanboy friends conned me into getting a PS3 and network outages aside I’ve regretted it since day 1. What XBOX provides for that price is a great value, and they put out the up front effort to keep their network secure so I don’t have to pay $15 a month for ID Theft Insurance.

I agree that it isn’t the end of the world and people are probably better off without the network, but I don’t think anybody switching over to XBOX is going to be real disappointed with what they get for $5 a month. I spend more than $5 a month on things with far less entertainment value.

1. dante says:

why leave ridcule comments for ps3 anyway ps3 is great and you can download map packs and more in 5 minutes( for the record i have wired connections so this may have an effect). Sony has spent millions of dollars for a new security system and this security will be better and we dont have to pay to play online now imagine how much money you will save in 5 years is you did not have an xbox360 and did not have to pay for online. and plus why destroy a company by hacking THAT SUCKS(XBOX) when you destroy a good company(PS3)

20. jmatt616 says:

22 days thats kind of a let down maybe i should buy a good single player game or just convert to xbox Notttttt!

21. Tequiz says:

Hey just learned my kids names and birthday’s

22. teddy says:

the only real way to “get back” is dont buy anything from them when it goes online.. use redbox, etc.. for your downloads….we are all just kidding our selfs if we think we wont go back.. its a free online gaming…

23. ted says:

First of all it is Sony’s fault, 77 million user base and Sony was ill prepared, one also can only wonder how long it will be FREE???? Sony will have to OFFSET these costs somehow, their freebies are useless, actually I consider their downtime is costing me money, their lack of communication is unacceptable and irresponsible.
    I have been PS3 all my life, if it wasn’t for my friends on PSN I would have already switched…

24. Christian says:

ok, why do all of youd gamers talk about converting to xbox or ps3. Get over yourselves and enjoy both like I do. I don’t understand the need to convince someone to one system over the other. They both have their ups and downs. Does this not make sense. If your a true gamer you would enjoy both. One guy called it gay box, my question is what did Microsoft do to you. One guy said it right, Let’s be patient and let Sony do the best they can to fix this, so it will never happen again. I have to say that Xbox online service even though it is not free, is far better then ps3 network. This is coming from a playstation fan since I was 13.

25. MadDogStefko says:

26. sob7r says:

well I for one have gone through 6 xbox units, Red ring of death which microsoft is aware of but refuses to fix, this has never happened to my PS3.. I would rather have the ps3 which runs circles around the xBox.

27. eric says:

i have both systems. I got the red ring once on the Xbox and the yellow light of death on the PS3, in which i fixed myself. check out youtube. PS3 has issues too. I’m still a loyal playstationite. But Xbox’s overall picture and graphics are better. no need to hate one system or another. PS3 has blue ray. Xbox better graphics. Well sobr7 our PS3’s aren’t running circles around anything right now. PS3 needs to do something about this open online system. What do we expect for free online? fort knox type security?

28. eric says:

As a PS3 loyalist I pose this question to other PS3 folks. If it’s not sony’s fault for not having top notch security who’s fault is it. There will always be hackers why not be prepared. It took someting like this for them to “upgrade” security. Another question. Folk talk about playing online for “free”…you’re right..but what do you expect for “free”? We are not playing online now are we? “well when the network comes back up……” really. I’m glad that I can appreciate both systems and the 50 or 60 buck a year spent is for “closed” system security and it is well worth it. I hate to say it but Xbox graphics are far better. My ps3 has a blue ray, but i don’t watch blue ray on my ps3, i have a home theater for that. I’ll tell you this, I have actually been really enjoying playing Black Ops with all the new maps on Xbox lately while folks without both systems wait until May 31st, at least thats what sony “says”