Inventive Teacher Gives Disabled Student ‘Control’

MIAMI (CBS4) — Sixteen-year-old Danny Lamarca is a student at Holmes Braddock Senior High School in Miami and like most teenage boys he loves playing video games and he’s good at it too.

“I got fourth place and two weeks later I got first,” said Danny. But video games weren’t always a slam dunk for Danny.

“I have a skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa and I was born with it,” said Danny.

It’s a hereditary condition which makes Danny’s skin sensitive and blister easily. It also affected the size of his hands making him unable to play the games he loves.

That’s where his art teacher David Kotkin comes in. Danny confided to David how he longed to be able to use the X-Box his parents bought him.

“I just said, Hey ya know I’m working on something that I think can help you,” said Kotkin.

David, a closet inventor, went to work. With Scotch tape, Popsicle sticks, super glue and strings, Kotkin created a new controller for Danny which made all the difference.

“The strings help me reach the controls and triggers better,” said Danny.

Kotkin named the controller The Avenger. It encases a standard X-Box controller and makes it possible to do more moves faster.

Kotkin has sold over 8,000 Avengers since its debut in January. Many gamers say it gives them more control and less finger fatigue when they play. He anticipates sales will continue to climb and says all the success has stemmed from an act of love.

“It comes from a place of love it really does a good place it wasn’t made in a studio,” explained Kotkin.

For information on how you can get your hands on an Avenger, go to www.avengercontroller.com.

Comments

1. GAIN AND AGAIN says:

GREAT NEWS

2. Carol says:

Now this teacher shows how much teachers truely care and it is so wonderful to see wonderful stories and it much to long in between such stories.

I just want to thank him so much for caring.

3. Matthew Porter says:

I’m a 32 year old disabled gamer with the EXACT same disabilty that Danny has. I would love it if I could somehow reach out to him to thank him for inspiring this invention that has helped me enjoy the hobby I love so dearly. Thanks you Danny and your teacher!

4. n00bs, lol says:

Why is there no punctuation in this article? ” It encases a standard X-Box controller and makes it possible to do more moves faster.”

“Hit more buttons faster” is what you mean. You’re not necessarily “doing moves” in a video gamme.

5. Jack Vermicelli says:

What?

6. Erik says:

Such ingenuity! Such a heartwarming tale! And then came Ocean Marketing and ruined the whole thing with his ‘wwebsite as on the internet.’

7. cameras says:

I simply couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I extremely loved the standard information a person supply for your guests? Is going to be back regularly in order to investigate cross-check new posts