MIAMI BEACH (CBS4) – County officials have reduced the size of the restricted area, but residents are still urged to stay out of the water near the site of a massive sewer main break on Miami Beach.
The areas in the modified advisory include the western portion of Normandy Isle and Biscayne Point, to Cameo Island of North Bay Village, and North from 88th street all the way South to 57th street.
The break was completely capped and roads reopened on Friday.
After the break, residents and visitors were asked to minimize flow of waste water by pouring stuff down the drain and flushing toilets as little as possible in an area north of the break including Bal Harbour, North Bay Village, Bay Harbour Islands, Surfside and northern areas of Miami Beach. Those cities had been able to turn off their pumps.
City officials have said they don’t believe the break is a sign of a major problem. They said the city has spent millions over the years on improvements to the water and sewage systems.
Recognizing the need to replace crumbling infrastructure, North Bay Village is using federal stimulus money to build its own, state of the art sewer main to the mainland.
This break did not affect drinking water usage; just the disposal of it. Water is still safe to drink.
The Miami-Dade Health Department and Environmental Resources Management continue to monitor water quality.