Funeral Home Owner Charged With Grand Theft

HALLANDALE BEACH (CBS4)- The owner of a Hallandale Beach funeral home was arrested Thursday and is facing grand theft charges, police said.

According to the Hallandale Beach Police Department, funeral home owner Kennedy Stevens of E.A. Stevens Funeral Home at 315 West Pembroke Road was arrested and charged with grand theft. Police said Stevens, 46, was given four checks by a couple for pre-need funeral services but ended up using the money for “personal use,” according to the arrest form.

The report states that Stevens received the four checks totaling $22,662 after Stevens and the woman, Icilene Tomlinson, signed a contract for services totaling $24,670. But after receiving the checks Stevens asked Tomlinson, 75, to make the first two checks of $1,000 each out to his sister Lovette Stevens, which she agreed.

The check were endorsed by Lovette Stevens and cashed at the bank. In April of 2010, Tomlinson returned to the funeral home and paid the rest of the amount to total $22,662. But Kennedy Stevens told her that the “final resting place would be at and conducted by Fred Hunter’s Funeral Home in Hollywood and in a contract showed that $9,990 of the money given would be for the cemetery.”

According to the report, in May of 2010 Stevens and Kennedy went to Fred Hunter’s Funeral Home and met with a “witness” by the name of Austin. Notably, Austin and Kennedy had a previous business relationship and personally know each other.

An agreement was made that Kennedy would give the $9,900 to Fred Hunter’s Funeral Home for the plots and “the balance would be paid by Tomlinson in a payment plan.

After an investigation, it was discovered that Kennedy never gave the money to Austin or the funeral home. He told Tomlinson, according to the report, that he used the money for personal reasons and no longer had it.

When police spoke to Kennedy he said he knew that he did not pay back the woman and did not have the money. He also stated that the money was used before he met with the funeral home.

Police said Kennedy conducted the contract without a license to conduct business within a funeral home.

According to state statute, pre-need funeral contract funds are to be placed into a trust fund, but this was not done by Kennedy, the reported stated.

Police is requesting the public’s assistance in identifying and locating possible victims. Anyone with more information is asked to contact Detective Chris Grieco of the Hallandale Beach Police Department Investigative Services Division at 954-924-3122

Comments

1. TONYA says:

HE DESERVES WHAT HE GET. TRY TO PULL A SIMILAR STUNT WITH ME AND MY FAMILY. WHAT YOU DO IN THE DARK WILL ALWAYS COME TO LIGHT, SOONER OR LATER

1. SugarKale says:

We should not rejoice in the downfall of others. Kennedy Stevens has also done a lot of good with helping families with more affordable funerals in the Community at large and let;s not forget that. I am not by any means upholding the bad decisions he may have made. We all have made mistakes and poor choices in. life Let’s give him his due process and let the jury decide Guilty or not. We shall lift up both Parties in prayer and compassion.

2. DIVA says:

IT’S ALL IN GOD’S HAND IM PRAYING FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY.

1. Anita says:

YES THAT’S THE WAY TO HANDLE IT…LET GOD HANDLE IT ALL AND LET’S NOT CAST OUT DECISION UPON THIS MAN FOR HE HAS DONE GOOD BY HIS COMMUNITY AND SO DID HIS PARENTS BEFORE HIM. THE STEVENS FAMILY AS A WHOLE HAVE BEEN GOOD PEOPLE.

3. tuti says:

Let’s just prayer for him that he learned his lesson and will not do it again

4. max dupree says:

I wish u all the best of luck. I know you are innocent and God dose to.keep your head up. I’m praying for u.and remember gaints do fall

5. sherry beasley says:

It’s praying time yall.

1. Anita says:

Sherry you said it best, with all these comments the truth is that,,it’s praying time for real.

6. The_Prince says:

Prayer is absolutely essential in the times in which we live. However lets not forget to lift up the elderly couple who lost $26,000 in this transaction.

7. JRL says:

Kennedy has done a lot of good in the community and has helped a lot of people. I am not saying what he did was right(if he did it), but we all are human and will all make mistakes. It is up to God to pass judgement. Just let us all pray for him and his family and also for the ederly person involved.

8. TONYA says:

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, YES I AM HAPPY THEY GOT HIM. BY HIM DOING SOME GOOD IN THE COMMUNITY DOES THAT OUT WEIGHT THE PEOPLE HE HAS WRONGED WE DON’T KNOW THIS.AND THAT MIGHT JUST HAVE BEEN HIS GUILTY CONSCIOUS TO MAKE HIMSELF FEEL BETTER. WE ARE ALL HUMAN SUBJECT TO ERROR BUT YOU DON’T KEEP MAKING MISTAKES WHEN THEY INVOLVE SOMEONE ELSE FAMILY, MONEY, AND FEELINGS, AND YOU ARE FULLY AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I DO PRAY FOR HIM AND ESPECIALLY THE ELDERLY COUPLE

1. anita says:

Tonya while you may be emotionally attached to this, remember dont rejoice in ones down falls, cause the next down fall could be yours..

1. TONYA says:

anita everyone have different views on this matter if you don’t agree with my view that is fine, but as for me rejoicing and having a down fall , i’m not doing a praise dance to his situation, by the way that he put his self in, i spoke my opinion of how i feel about this , as so did others, down fall,we all have down falls, which some we can control , so if and when i do have a down fall it won’t be taking away from other people peace of mind, or money. God bless everyone

9. justiceserved says:

IT MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH THAT WE AS PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO CARE WHAT MR STEVENS HAS DONE,YES HE MAY HAVE HELPED SOME PEOPLE,BUT DOES THAT JUSTIFY THE CRIME? HIS BUSINESS HAS BEEN A ASSET IN THE COMMUNITY FOR SO LONG AND ITS TERRIBLE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO HAVE OCCURRED ITS NOT OK FOR HIM TO LIE CHEAT AND STEAL FROM HIS PEOPLE OR THE ELDERLY OR ANYONE!!YES WE MUST FORGIVE AND WITH THAT MAKE PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS..1 TIME IS A MISTAKE 23456 TIMES….WELL

10. Nikki G. says:

He was wonderful to me and my sister when our mother passed. Good people make mistakes. We all have fallen short, but it just wasn’t televised. I am praying for you Kennedy and I still love ya. God knows your heart.

11. compassion says:

I am praying you Ken! I am also praying for the elderly woman and her loss as well. May God give you the grace to endure whatever you may have to endure for the charges against you. Your need superceded your conscious, and sometimes we don’t make wise decisions. My heart goes out to you because I know you have a good heart! You have been good to my family. Love you Ken

12. GeeGee says:

I am glad that I know forgiveness . I am also praying for Ken as well as the couple who is also suffering and I still love ken no one is perfect in this life. we must forgive in order to see Jesus!!!!!!!!

13. Laverne Keith says:

Kennedy Where is my mother’s headstone. My family has paid you in FULL, but my mother’s headstone is missing in action. I am going to press charges against you and your sister

14. Vegas says:

How can people say he is a good man? He is a THIEF. He stole money that was to be placed “in trust” for funeral services and spent it on himself. That is a CROOK. This is a breach of trust and he should go to jail for this crime. Stealing from the dead. How low can this guy go? He is a danger to the general public should you walk into his business.

15. PAMELA KEITH says:

KENNEDY IS WRONG FOR HIS ILLEGAL ACTIONS! MY FAMILY TOO FELL VICTIM TO KENNEDY’S GREED AND THEFT. TWO YEARS AGO MY MOTHER PASSED. WE ORDERED HER HEADSTONE PAID IN FULL THROUGH KENNEDY. AFTER HAVING THE WRONG INFO ON THE HEADSTONE, HE HAD IT REMOVED BY THIEVES!! THE CITY HAS NO RECORD OF IT BEING REMOVED HOWEVER, ITS GONE! WITHOUT BEING REPLACED! TWO YEARS OF PAIN OCT 24,2009 OCT 24,2011 STILL NO ANSWER, NO REPLACED HEADSTONE! WHERE’S THAT THIEF? THROW THE BOOK AT HIM! LOSE THE KEY! YOU DON’T KNOW HOW IT FEEL UNTIL YOU FALL VICTIM! MAKE HIM PAY!!

16. LYNETTE says:

HE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE!

17. Aqua Bubble - Bubble Shooter says:

I loved reading this article. If you like, please visit my web-site.