Charges Dropped In Bal Harbour Double Shooting
BAL HARBOUR (CBSMiami.com) – Bal Harbour police thought they had their man when they sent US Marshals into an Ohio home to arrest Ryan Hubbard, charging him with shooting two people outside of the ritzy Bal Harbour shops, but Thursday, the charges against the Miami Gardens were dropped. His family claimed from the day he was arrested that he wasn’t in Miami at the time of the shooting.
Ed Griffith, spokesperson for the Miami-DadeState Attorney’s Office, confirmed Thursday evening that the charges against Griffith had been dropped, but offered no details about the decision.
Hubbard, 32, was taken into custody Ohio by U.S. Marshals just 3 days after the shooting. He was charged with two counts of attempted murder.
The Marshal’s Service said their team went to the door of a home in Dublin, Ohio, where members of their Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team had spotted Hubbard 3 days after the shooting.
US Marshal Cathy Jones said Hubbard did not answer the door, so members of the strike team forced their way into the home, and arrested Hubbard without incident. He was held for extradition to South Florida, .
That was canceled Thursday when the charges were dropped.
Hubbard was a suspect in the shooting outside of the Carpaccio Restaurant, part of the exclusive Bal Harbour Shops at 9700 Collins Avenue.
Witnesses report seeing two men arguing right before the gunshots were heard. A man was struck in the knee, and a woman was struck in the foot. Both are expected to make a full recovery. It was witnesses who positively identified Hubbard to police.
Police said a man jumped into an awaiting black car which fled southbound on Collins Avenue.They later claimed it was Hubbard, even though family members said he had been in Ohio at the time of the shooting.