TOLEDO, Ohio (CBS Local) — An Ohio man lighting fireworks in his front yard for neighborhood kids died early Tuesday when a mortar exploded in his chest, police said.
Floyd Temple, 61, was putting on a fireworks display in North Toledo at around 12:30 a.m. when one of the mortars tipped over, striking Temple in the chest, according to officials.READ MORE: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Bill Targeting Fentanyl, Meth Dealers
“He tried to fire off a rocket that goes up into the sky and it backfired and took his chest off,” Benjamin Avalos, a friend of the victim, told CBS affiliate WTOL.READ MORE: Affordable Housing Art Deco Style In Little Havana
Neighbors and witnesses say the man was setting off fireworks all day for neighborhood kids and several children witnessed the accident.
“It went off and his chest exploded, and [the kids] ran over to my house and told me about it. That’s when police showed up,” said neighbor Rick Tuggle.MORE NEWS: Residents Living Near Sharp Curve Along NW 87 Terrace Fed Up With Constant Crashes
While it is legal to purchase fireworks in Ohio, it is illegal to set them off in the state, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Those who fire off fireworks could face a first-degree misdemeanor charge with up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.