POMPANO BEACH (CBSMiami) – Two children have been hospitalized after a fireworks accident in Broward County.
According to the City of Pompano Beach, two cousins, ages 8 and 9, were injured in the accident. It happened in the area of 405 Northwest 6th Avenue in Pompano Beach.
Police say the children were playing with a homemade firework called an ‘onion bomb’ which is illegal.
The firework wasn’t lighting so the kids took it apart and tried lighting it again, police say.
“They started to light it again,” said Sandra King, Pompano Beach Spokesperson. “It was already lit. It exploded with both of them leaning over the device.”
The 8-year-old suffered burns on his face and both hands. The 9-year-old suffered burns on one hand. They are at Ryder Trauma Center being treated.
Investigators are talking to family members and trying to figure out where the kids got the homemade firework.
“It’s illegal and they shouldn’t have it no matter where they got it from,” King said. “These devices are serious, they are deadly and they could have major consequences.”
King said the Broward Sheriff’s Office is looking into whether any criminal charges will be filed.