FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami/AP) — A Ft. Lauderdale family is now without their home following some dangerous child’s play.READ MORE: COVID In Florida: 5,922 Additional Cases, 144 New Deaths Reported Friday
Monday afternoon a 3-year-old boy was playing with a cigarette lighter when he accidentally set his family’s house on fire.
The boy reportedly told investigators he lit a paper on fire and it fell onto a bed. The fire spread quickly to the living room.READ MORE: You Can Now Get Gooey Knaus Berry Farm Cinnamon Rolls Delivered To Your Door
The boy, his father, and another child were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Fort Lauderdale Battalion Chief Stephen Gollan says firefighters were hampered by the home’s hurricane shutters. He advises people to take their shutters down when they aren’t needed.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family. The children will be required to attend a fire-started educational program.MORE NEWS: Stimulus Check Latest: Will Your Next Relief Payment Be $1,400?
(© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)