Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) – A good Samaritan who stepped in to help a gay couple as they were beaten by a group of men is being honored by the City of Miami Beach.

READ MORE: Mural Honoring Gloria & Emilio Estefan Unveiled In Little Havana

It’s a story that difficult to forget as four attackers brutally beat two men following the conclusion of the  Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade.

A good Samaritan saw the attack and jumped in to help, taking quite the beating himself.

Security camera captured the entire exchange.

The couple were holding hands and walking near the beach when they were approached by the four young men.

“Out happiness, our outfits, our affection to each other, whether it was the reason we got beat up, I don’t know,” said Dmitry, one of the victims.

Hulmet Muller Estrada tried to help as the victims were being physically assaulted, getting bloodied in the process and later receiving staples to close a wound on the back of his head. He was able to chase away the assailants.

READ MORE: Doctors Working To Get Out Word On How Americans Can Protect Themselves Against Diabetes

“To step up for those guys, I thought it was the right thing to do,” Estrada said. “I try my best. On sex and religion, I hope they get along someday.”

On Wednesday the City of Miami Beach honored Estrada for his efforts.

He was awarded a City of Miami Beach medallion.

“Given for acts of heroism, bravery and significant contributions to our city,” said Commissioner Michael Gongora.

Mayor Dan Gelber praised Estrada for jumping into the melee and possibly saving serious injury or even death to the grateful victims.

“He has been a hero for us,” said Dmitry. “Not a lot of people helped us, he was there for us.”

“We came [today] because he was here for us, not only for us but for the whole community so that is why we decided to show up,” added Rene, Dmitry’s boyfriend and the second victim.

MORE NEWS: Florida Gets $4 Billion Bump in Estimated Tax Dollars

As for the four men wanted in the beating, they turned themselves in and were charged with aggravated battery.