CORAL SPRINGS (CBSMiami) – Distraught members of a Coral Springs family picked through the rubble of their home after an overnight fire severely damaged it.
Kayleigh Fine, 21, was home late Monday and saw a spark near the electrical box in the garage.
“It’s amazing how quickly it caught. It was tiny and when I went back in there with the water it was already at the roof, with the door open there was smoke everywhere,” she said.
When firefighters arrived at the home at 10695 NW 17th Court, flames were shooting through the roof of the garage and sections of the home.
“As soon as it got to the attic they said it was like a tinderbox, it just lit up completely,” said Deanna Bloom, Kayleigh’s sister.
Kayleigh said her dad grabbed a hose and did his best to battle the flames before the firefighters arrived.
“My dad was still in the garage trying to fight it, we screamed for him to get out. A police officer had to literally rip him out, he wouldn’t stop,” said Kayleigh.
The home, the only one Kayleigh has known, was gutted by flames. In every room, all that’s left were a few cracked pictures and debris.
Kayleigh, her father, and mother were able to get out safely. Her five siblings rushed home after hearing about what had happened.
“Everyone is physically okay, mentally not so much,” said Rebecca Fine, who drove in from Orlando.
The family’s heartbreak extends to the pets. Two of their six cats are dead, three are missing. The family also lost two birds.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to get help with expenses.