HOLLYWOOD (CBSMiami) – A Hollywood mother has a neighbor to thank for saving her child after a fire erupted in her home.
The fire broke out around 8 a.m. inside the home at 60th Way and Fillmore Street. Two women and a baby were inside at the time.
The two women were able to make it out. Gayle Fogge, who lives down the street, saw the smoke and flames ran over to help.
“I asked if there was anybody else in the house and they didn’t understand me and I kept stressing it to her and she said ‘my baby, my baby,” said Fogge.
When she learned that the baby was still trapped inside, Fogge immediately ran into the home and began to choke on the smoke.
“It was so black in there I couldn’t see in front of me,” said Fogge, “I was just feeling my way through.”
She finally located the year old baby girl on a mattress and rushed her outside.
“I just picked the baby up and ran,” said Fogge.
The infant, her mother, her grandmother, and the neighbor were all taken to the hospital and treated for minor smoke inhalation.
The mother’s sister, Sandy Payas, wasn’t home when the fire erupted.
“I left my mom and my other sister still sleeping,” she said. “You just never know when things gonna happen.”
She said she returned home to see what was left.
“I don’t think it matters, everything is gone, but at least they’re alive that’s all that matters,” she said.
Fogge too is grateful to have been there at the right time.
“I’m glad the baby is safe, I don’t feel like a hero though, I would tell myself that, I love to help people, that’s just my nature,” she said.
It took about 25 firefighters and rescue personnel about 25 minutes to put out the fire. What sparked it is under investigation.