Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

NORTH MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A police standoff in North Miami has ended with an individual being taken into custody.

READ MORE: CDC Releases New Guidelines For Trial Cruises

Late Thursday night there was a heavy police presence in a neighborhood where authorities said an armed man barricaded himself inside a home near 120th Street and Northwest 15th Avenue.

Police said they went to the home to serve Derek Roberts, 46, with a Domestic Violence Injunction.

“While the officers spoke to Mr. Roberts in the home, Mr. Roberts pulled out a gun and began shooting at the officers. The officers returned fire and exited the home,” said North Miami Police, in a statement to the media.

That’s when Roberts barricaded himself inside.

Officers roamed the neighborhood with their guns drawn and police helicopters hovered over the area.

READ MORE: South Florida Streets Packed For Cinco De Mayo, First Big Holiday Since Governor Lifted Local COVID Restrictions

“Oh, I was scared,” said Odisa Eyssallenne, who lives across the street. “I was scared.”

She and her husband were ordered to remain inside their home.

“We hear someone screaming, screaming,” she said. “And someone was talking loud and we hear gunshots. And that’s when police came all around in here and they took a lady out and they said, ‘ma’am if there’s anybody in there?’ And the lady says, ‘no, no.'”

The incident lasted several hours.

“Big commotion, all night,” said Juan Carlos Herrera. “Since 6 o’clock even yesterday, all night, all midnight, until this morning. We’ve never seen anything happen like that with so many SWAT team trucks come over here. So many police cars also.”

After hours of negotiations, Roberts surrendered and was taken into custody.

MORE NEWS: COVID Vaccine No Longer Required This Fall For Those Returning To NSU Campus

He was charged with two counts of Attempted Murder on a Law Enforcement Officer and one count of Resisting Officers with Violence. No one was hurt.