By Abe Gutierrez
A pivotal contest against the Arizona Cardinals is in store for the Miami Dolphins this Sunday, and according to the Dolphins’ week 14 injury report, Adam Gase and his staff will have key injuries to deal with on both sides of the football. A total of 14 hobbled players comprise this week’s report, and thus far, one player has been ruled out, three are listed as doubtful, nine are questionable and there’s one whose status wasn’t disclosed.READ MORE: South Florida Author Brad Meltzer ‘Heartbroken’ After Pennsylvania School Board Banned 2 Of His Books About MLK & Rosa Parks
Jarvis Landry’s healthy but uncertain in week 14
After an excused absence from Wednesday’s practice that was not injury related, wide receiver Jarvis Landry took 100 percent of the snaps during Thursday and Friday’s sessions. However, the team leader in catches and receiving yards wasn’t assigned a status for Sunday’s game at Hard Rock Stadium.
It’s worth noting that Landry had his name penciled in Miami’s injury report during a three-week span due to an injured shoulder. Nevertheless, all indications are that his situation is a personal one, not related to football and the third-year man out of LSU should play against the Cards.
Key players listed as questionable
As stated above, there are nine players listed as questionable, which includes key players. For starters, there’s optimism regarding the return of cornerback Xavien Howard. For the first time since week 4, the rookie out of Baylor has been upgraded to Questionable versus Arizona after spending most of the season listed as Out and Doubtful.
Howard has had limited participation in practice since being cleared by doctors three weeks ago after undergoing his second knee surgery on the same leg. Gase has stated that he will let his player determine when he feels healthy enough to be back on the field.
Personnel issues in Miami’s defenseREAD MORE: CBS4 Nat Moore Trophy Profile: Monsignor Pace Defensive Lineman Shemar Stewart
As far as the players listed as doubtful in week 14 goes, Miami may have some defensive issues, particularly at the linebacker position. All three names listed as doubtful belong to the Fins’ defense, which includes two key linebackers.
Not healthy enough to practice this week, Gase could be without the services of linebackers Kiko Alonso (hand/hamstring) and Jelani Jenkins (knee/hand), as well as defensive end Mario Williams (ankle). After undergoing thumb surgery, Alonso is expected to wear a cast for several weeks, but his status against the Cardinals depends solely on how his hammy feels.
Hope for Mike Pouncey’s return in 2016
Finally, the only player listed as out for this week’s game shouldn’t come as a surprise. Expected to miss his fourth straight game is center Mike Pouncey (hip). Nevertheless, there’s plenty of optimism in the Dolphins’ locker room that the three-time Pro Bowler will be back this season, hence why he hasn’t been placed on season-ending injured reserve.
Miami Dolphins (NFL Week 14) Injury Report & Game Statuses
- (C) Kraig Urbik (Knee) — Limited Participation in Practice
- (CB) Xavien Howard (Knee) — Limited Participation in Practice
- (DT) Earl Mitchell (Back) — Full Participation in Practice
- (G) Anthony Steen (Shoulder/Foot) — Full Participation in Practice
- (LB) Spencer Paysinger (Ankle) — Full Participation in Practice
- (RB) Kenyan Drake (Knee) — Limited Participation in Practice
- (S) Isa Abdul-QudduS (Neck) — Limited Participation in Practice
- (T) Branden Albert (Wrist) — Full Participation in Practice
- (WR) DeVante Parker (Back) — Full Participation in Practice
- (DE) Mario Williams (Ankle) — Did Not Participate In Practice
- (LB) Jelani Jenkins (Knee/Hand) — Did Not Participate In Practice
- (LB) Kiko Alonso (Hand/Hamstring) — Did Not Participate In Practice
OutMORE NEWS: Collins Park Garage In Miami Beach Achieves Leadership In Energy And Environmental Design Gold Certification
- (C) Mike Pouncey (Hip) — Did Not Participate In Practice
- (WR) Jarvis Landry (Not Injury Related) — Full Participation in Practice