WASHINGTON (CBSMiami) — President-elect Donald Trump took to his favorite social media platform Sunday to send a post alleging that he would have won the popular vote.READ MORE: Charges Upgraded To Felonies For Three Miami Beach Police Officers Accused Of Rough Arrest
It comes after recount efforts are underway in Wisconsin, formally requested by the Green Party’s Jill Stein. Stein made the request after reports that voting equipment had been compromised or hacked around the country.
While Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, Trump won the presidency by acquiring more Electoral votes through more state victories.
In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 27, 2016
No evidence, however, has come to light to support this claim. Hours later, he specified which states he believes had issues.
Serious voter fraud in Virginia, New Hampshire and California – so why isn’t the media reporting on this? Serious bias – big problem!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 28, 2016
Stein said she’ll request recounts in Michigan and Pennsylvania, next.READ MORE: Tracking The Tropics: Tropical Depression 18 Strengthening In Central Atlantic
“Hillary Clinton conceded the election when she called me just prior to the victory speech and after the results were in,” the President-elect tweeted. “Nothing will change.”
It is ironic that a key issue during the campaign was whether or not Trump, should he lose the election, concede defeat graciously.
“The idea that we are going to drag this out now, where the president-elect has been incredibly magnanimous to the Clinton’s and to the Obama’s, is pretty incredible,” said former Trump spokesman, Kellyanne Conway.
Former Democratic Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders defended the recount effort underway in Wisconsin.
“Probably almost every election, there’s a recount,” said Sanders. “No one expects there to be profound change. But there’s nothing wrong with going through the process.”
President-elect Trump will resume interviewing candidates for his administration at Trump Tower Monday. He still needs to fill several cabinet positions including Secretary of State.
Trump’s former campaign manager made it clear Sunday that she does not think the nominee should be former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
“People feel betrayed to think that Governor Romney, who went out of his way to question the character and the intellect and the integrity of Donald Trump, now our President-elect, would be given the most significant cabinet post of all, Secretary of State,” Conway added.MORE NEWS: Miami Proud: The American Museum Of The Cuban Diaspora Shares The History Of Those Who Left
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has also been named as a front-runner.