Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Jason Pierre Paul’s life changed in a split second on July 4th, 2015 in Deerfield Beach.

Now the NFL star is sharing his story so everyone can celebrate the annual holiday safely.

“On the 4th of July I lit up a firework thinking I could throw away it real quick,” said Pierre Paul.

A firework blew up right as he attempted to light it, costing him his right thumb and index finger.

Now the All Pro New York Giants defense end is telling his story in a Consumer Product Safety Commission public safety announcement.

“In a split second it blew up and my right hand blew up. On the way to the hospital all I could think about was my son and am I gonna make it.”

Pierre Paul returned to the field wearing a customized glove on his right hand but he dropped from 12 sacks the previous year to only one last season.

Pierre Paul’s warning about the danger of fireworks is one we hear annually from the Broward Sheriff’s Office and other police departments who put on demonstrations showing why fireworks should be left up to the pros.

Putting a famous face on the danger makes the warning even stronger.

“Now I’m just glad to be alive and when I think about fireworks, I think about safety,” Pierre Paul said. “So let’s tackle it together, keep fireworks away from kids and leave fireworks to the professionals.”

Comments